Notices

best size wheels for *my* CRX Si ?

Old 10-29-2002, 12:37 PM
sounds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best size wheels for *my* CRX Si ?

Hi folks,

I am the original owner of a 1990 CRX Si, and I have *finally* decided to move up from the 14" wheels. I hope to determine what the best compromise would be, starting at 15" and maybe more. I'm currently running YOKOHAMA AVS Intermediates on the stock rims, and I plan to choose a YOKOHAMA that is their best Ultra High Performance Tire for rain conditions, after I settle on a new wheel size. I don't want to fool around with wheels that are "too" big, and I don't want to suffer with the worst ride - although I am willing to trade a little comfort for performance. I also don't want to sacrifice turning clearance.

I have also owned an S-2000 for two years, which is probably what convinced me to change to larger wheels on the CRX Si. The S-2000 stays in the garage on rainy days, which we get a lot of here in Seattle, so the CRX will need to be safe and not hydroplane. You can see why I don't need to go too extreme with the CRX wheels. I don't need to worry about fitting snow chains on the CRX wheels either, because I have a truck that can handle the rare snow day here.

I'm thinking that 17" is either impossible or too much hassle. I'd like your advice on whether I should go with 16" or 15" and what widths are easy to fit on a stock suspension - if you'd like to throw in a recommendation for a good YOKOHAMA rain tire, I'll take that, too!
Old 10-29-2002, 01:12 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

15''
Old 10-29-2002, 01:21 PM
ronaldmcdonald

Default ronaldmcdonald

I personally like 15's as well as I like the look, and I enjoy using the Falken Azenis tires (somehow I've been told they don't work w 16 in wheels on a CRX).

However, should you ever decide to install a more fancy 4-pot brake kits from Brembo or AP Racing, you will need at least 16in wheels for clearance. I do believe the the Wilwood 4-pot brake kit will work with 15 in wheels though.

Of course, some of the fancier tires, like the Bridgestone S-02/3's (I have the S-02's on my VW, and really like them) might not be available in 15 in size. Otherwise, that's all I can think of.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:02 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

If you want rain tires, nothing beats the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 in 205/50-15. Yokohama's top-of-the-line tire is the AVS Sport but it doesn't come in smaller sizes and doesn't grip as well in the rain as the S-03 anyways. A set of the S-03's on some nice lightweight 15x6.5" or 15x7" wheels would work perfectly.

The kit Wilwood sells fits only under 17" wheels. Fastbrakes.com sells a kit that fits under 15" wheels and uses Wilwood calipers. I don't think he's gonna be upgrading to a big brake kit anytime soon though so that's not really a concern.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:09 AM
sounds

Default Thanks guys - youre great!

I discovered the AXIS VPD today and fell in love.

The tire & wheel shop tried to convince me that 17" were the way to go for maximum tire choice, but I refuse to go over 16". Besides, now that I hear you guys recommend 15", I'm sold on the idea of the lower weight (and lower cost) of 15" wheels.

The only thing to consider is that if I want to go with the YOKOHAMA PARADA Spec-2 tire, I'll need to bump up to a 16" VPD.

It's looking like the AVS ES100 or A032R, although I suspect the A032R won't be as good in rain. The Bridgestone Potenza S-03 are a good choice, too, as I've read a lot of good things about their tech (and have run the S-02 for 17K). The Falken Azenis are also on my radar as an option, thanks.

I still need to learn how big a tire I can fit. I remember 195/60-14 being too big (at 23.21") for snow chains, but I've already decided to never put chains on the CRX again. What is the clearance limit for the CRX if you want full turning and no scrubbing when the stock suspension is fully compressed?

P.S. The shop promised I wouldn't have to worry about offsets because the CRX is so popular. Does that mean that I have to say I'm putting the AXIS VPD on a 1990 CRX Si when I order them? A FAQ on offsets would really help me right now.

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
... I don't think he's gonna be upgrading to a big brake kit anytime soon though so that's not really a concern.
Good guess. Until I swap in a VTEC, I doubt I'll need any extra braking power.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:54 AM
jc836

Just my 2 cents from the Civic I have here.
I have American Racing Spyders on the car now in 15 x 7 with BFG Euro TAs in 195-50R 15. They work very well as a combination in the dry more than the wet. I have also run Dunlop GT Qualifiers on this car with an autx setup (Skunks and Konis) under it every day for 3 years.
You choice of tires will work very well on this rim size. Going larger poses problems of its own.
Personally, my CRX is an SCCA ITA race car now and will have to be on 14" rims (AR Carrera/Motegi MR12). Tires for daily use are Dunlop Sport A2 and are fine for general use. I will put much more serious rubber on the car for track days and competition. I might add that the CRX is fully race prepped as to its suspension.

So overall-I would stay at 15", unless there is a rules issue for you to deal with. This is an excellent size and you will find many tires including the Yokohama. I run RE730s on the Prelude and they work great dry or wet on the road and track.
Good luck
Old 11-02-2002, 06:46 AM
KiLLer_X

i have 15 inch wheels KONIG helium wheels ultra light ,IM running 195/45/15 AVS intermediate . getting them from the tire rack.full race chassis car sticks like glue on the roads wet or dry.