Notices

New here...couple of questions.

Old 10-26-2002, 04:40 PM
T/A2CRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here...couple of questions.

I currently drive a 94 Trans Am, but I came across an 89 CRX for a very good price. I just have a couple of questions about the car. I plan on turning it into a drag car. I am looking to build a 10 second car. I was just wondering what would be the best combination for this. Would a B16 or the H22 fit into the car better. Which would be better for building? The car is a 5 spd, would I need to get the tranny of of the car I get an engine from or would the one I have work? Any input on this would help me out alot.

Thanks

James
Old 10-26-2002, 05:54 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

fwd cars aren't the best platform for drag racing...they are terrible for traction where the real battle is fought...to get a crx into the 10s you'd have to go forced induction and completely build the block to handle the amount of boost to get you near that goal...an h22a is a very hard swap to do into the ef chassis (1988-1991 crx/civics)...it requires a large amount of cutting and manipulation to get it to fit and will ruin its handling

as a drag car use your t/a...it's built for it...torque and rwd do wonders for drag racing where small high rev engines and fwd are one of the worst combos...most hondas are designed for road racing where chassis balance and high rpm torque are best attributes...a b16 is a dog out of vtec b/c its only 1.6 liters and makes it peak torque around 6000rpm (terrible for launching)
Old 10-26-2002, 06:06 PM
T/A2CRX

I thought about using the T/A for that, but I have a friend that builds civics and he can get parts and do alot of the work with me. I know the T/A would be alot better for it, but I love the look of peoples faces when a civic or other 4 cyl car beats them. I also think that having a T/A for a daily driver and a 10-11 sec CRX would be cool.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:34 PM
WhiteRice

Do you still owe Toretto that 10-sec car?! LOL

Like Jaje said, the b16 fits tons better for the h22 is very large. But if you've got the time and the money, I'd go for the h22....it's great for bragging rights if nothing else!
Old 10-27-2002, 06:39 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by T/A2CRX
I thought about using the T/A for that, but I have a friend that builds civics and he can get parts and do alot of the work with me. I know the T/A would be alot better for it, but I love the look of peoples faces when a civic or other 4 cyl car beats them. I also think that having a T/A for a daily driver and a 10-11 sec CRX would be cool.
my stock old 94 accord ex sedan i could pass stang gt and camaro z28 drivers on road tracks...they couldn't believe that it was possible...on a drag strip the 4 banger couldn't even keep them in sight for long

current pro drag cars are knocking on the 9's but have very large budgets...so normally aspirated in a crx trying to hit 10s will be extremely hard...you'd most definitely need a large turbo and a built block to get near the 10s...its more possible through that method

if you are really thinking this method then i'd consider the crvtec (you buy the long block from a crv 2.0 (b20b) and put on a b16a head and tranny...both will easily bolt up and give you dohc vtec with 2.0 liters and a long stroke)...however you have to build the block up well to even handle the b16as redline and for get some low compression pistons for forced induction (http://www.crvtec.com/)...that'll be the most effective and easy way for you to get in the 10s...the b series is a much much easier swap than any h series engine...a turbo'd crvtec properly built can get you close to a reliable 400whp in a 1700lb car...that would get you in the 10s with good traction and decent tuning...let us know your progress

i have a friend who runs a crvtec (stock) in his rex and he easily beats stock 911 carreras on a road track...they are very fast and nimble
Old 10-27-2002, 09:30 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

transam to crx...sounds like a big prolonged yawn.

youre going to put a lot of money into a car that you could probably do a lot easier with the pontiac.

BUT, im not fond of the h22...i dont like the way it leaves a car...if i wanted an engine on a skateboard ... actually thats kind of a cool idea