Notices

Wheel alignment

Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
vigalantyvillan
Emo hunting Crx driver!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel alignment

Any advice on wheel alignments or maybe a good link? Maybe even something temporary to drive it down to the shop.....
Old 01-10-2008, 08:31 PM
b00gers

How bad is it? And for what car?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 AM
vigalantyvillan
Emo hunting Crx driver!

Originally Posted by b00gers
How bad is it? And for what car?
Its for a 91 crx and the camber is way off the tire sits probably at a 45 degree angle. But i expected as much since i bought the car without any front steering. I had to replace the rack and pinion, tie rods, upper and lower control arms
Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 AM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Camber out 45 degrees?!

I hope you're exaggerating because that sounds really messed up. Something may have been installed wrong, or a wrong part. What exactly did you replace?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

45 degrees is ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOLOLOL
To get a rough allignment pick a either get a stright edge or two 2x4 lay them across the front wheels so the boards are sitting long ways next to the car. The take measurments from the drivers side to the passenger side on in front of the tire one behind. Adjust you tie rods until those numbers are the same then you can go get it alligned because this just gives you a rough estimate.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 AM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

I'm thinking he's actually referring to 'toe'. If he just put on new steering components I could see wheel 'toe' being off a lot.

Go here (click me) and read up on car alignment and let us know what's really going on.

If it is indeed your camber that is out by a large margin...something is really wrong with the parts you have installed. Alignment shops can't do much about camber unless you have a camber kit on that car. Typically you'd want to get a camber kit when you lower your car to fix the negative camber lowering creates. If your camber is out by a degree or more on stock suspension then something is really wrong.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:44 PM
vigalantyvillan
Emo hunting Crx driver!

Originally Posted by PacificDude
Camber out 45 degrees?!

I hope you're exaggerating because that sounds really messed up. Something may have been installed wrong, or a wrong part. What exactly did you replace?
Well its possible but im pretty sure.. If i can ill get a pic but im going to try those methods all i really need is some rough alignment, enough to safety drive it to the shop without calling a tow truck
Old 01-17-2008, 01:05 PM
m735is

I use the tape measure method.
Center the steerring wheel.

Pick a spot on the front of the tread and measure between the two tires.
Pick a spot at the rear of the tread and do the same.

If the rear measurement is larger you have toe in (front of the tires are pointing in-snow plowing). Crank the tie rods equally on both sides until the measurements are pretty close ( I go with about 1/8 inch toe in).

I measure with the front wheels off the ground and when it's back on the ground. I adjust when the wheels are off the ground.
Between adjustments, I lower the car, move it frontwards, then backwards about 15 feet, to settle the suspension, then recheck the measurements.
Recheck that your steering wheel is still centered. Drive it.

Some grease sandwhiched between two sheets of metal under each front tire can allow you to park the front wheels on them and do the adjustments with the car on the ground, but I don't do it.

If you're looking at the front of the car and your tires are leaning inwards at the top 45 degrees, then you have something else going on, as others have said.