Notices

1990 CRX Body repair/replacement advice

Old 12-24-2007, 04:14 AM
theleprechaun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 CRX Body repair/replacement advice

I own a 1990 CRX-si. I come from Colorado, the weather an deicer from the roads has caused a little corrosion on my car. Most of it is small and easily reparable. However, my passangerside wheel well. Specifically the point to the rear of and parallel to the top of my tire has rusted badly enough to bubble u and flake off, through the paint. I'll be posting pictures shortly but I am looking for any body repair advice; specifically related to repair resources, part sites or self repair tips.

The damage isn't wide spread but it does seem fairly corroded. I could could completely cover the spot itself with a dollar bill, but it has flaked off the paint, thickening that spot. It hsn't broken through, however I fear it has eaten through and all that remains is a rusty "pastry" with a thin backing.

I believe it will soon break completly through.

Right now I am located in Arizona.

I do plan to completely repaint the whole car. I am hesitant to do so until all external damage from 275000 miles is repaired. Why pay to do it twice right.

In anycase I will have photos shortly, but any forward advice or resources in or nearby the area, as well as part websites or phone numbers are appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:16 AM
theleprechaun

Default To summarize

Right rear panel
Outer panel
On rear side if panel
Parallel to top of tire
Not rusted through
Yet definatly damaged

If you look on my profile pic to your left it is the spot (not visible in pic) below the black trim to the rear of the tire.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 AM
theleprechaun

Default Red Line is new damage

Okay so the thin line is the new area of damage in any case it resently flaked off the exterior paint and shown its true inner corruption.

I want to either sand down through the rust and repair the original sheet or replace the whole panel (which is of course most of the passanger side) I don't believe I can remove the rust and seal the panel as is because of the depth of the "growth"

Last edited by theleprechaun; 12-24-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:24 AM
gsrsol
slow and low

a body shop should be able to just cut out the bad spot and then replace it with a small piece instead of replaceing the whole panel.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:26 PM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

www.civicdutyparts.com