Notices

whats needed to have a wicked handling car

Old 10-16-2002, 11:03 AM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
I tried doing the thing in the parkinglot and in the rain and the back never came out, if it did it was only like a few inches.

As for the oversteering thing yeah mine does do that sometimes, like I will turn the wheel and it keeps going straight. I flew off the road once. But it only does that in rain. But since then I make sure its stable all the time and to keep my tire pressures correct.
When you turn the wheel and it keeps going straight that is understeer. Hondas come stock with understeer.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:28 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Originally posted by BTLFED
When you turn the wheel and it keeps going straight that is understeer. Hondas come stock with understeer.
How is sliding forward when the wheel is turned more safer than having the back come out?
Old 10-16-2002, 01:33 PM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

How is sliding forward when the wheel is turned more safer than having the back come out?
I didn't say it was safer. Usually normal driving doesn't force the car for understeer. I personally would rather my butt come out at the limit of adhesion than my car go straight while I turn too. That is why I did all the suspension upgrades I did.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:13 AM
hybridhondahatch
for that added pep

a 240 w/ an sr20 and tein coilovers

he u said wicked, drifting is wicked

a guy at my fav shop has one its sick
Old 10-17-2002, 10:41 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Originally posted by BTLFED
I didn't say it was safer. Usually normal driving doesn't force the car for understeer. I personally would rather my butt come out at the limit of adhesion than my car go straight while I turn too. That is why I did all the suspension upgrades I did.
I know but its like that from the factory because its safer. I think its easier to control the back end coming out then the front end not turning also.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:06 PM
wagon89

A great driver I can out drive most cars in the 35 miles to my moms house and its all twisties Like my plate frame has on it you have just been past by less then a 100HP The few driving schools and autocross events I have done have helped make me a better driver but I have still so much to learn. Next spring IM taking the wagon to thunderhill to a BMW track event instead of my BMW.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:22 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

I know but its like that from the factory because its safer. I think its easier to control the back end coming out then the front end not turning also.
Understeer is safer for 95% of the population because once the car starts doing what the driver doesn't want, most people lift off the throttle. Doing so makes the car steer again, without transitioning to oversteer. Oversteer requires an ADDITION of throttle, and the ability to know how much correction is needed. Oversteer on the street is a dangerous situation, it's how drivers get killed when they wrap their cars around light poles driver's door first. The way it is, CRX's have a natural tendency towards lift-throttle oversteer [or late braking]. The biggest focus needs to be on front suspension to balance the car, and then upgrade both ends relatively equally, being sure to test and tweak each step. DO NOT fully upgrade a car's suspension for the first time and then go "see what it can do," I've had to fix more than my share because of something along those lines.

If you want "wicked handling" the absolute highest you could go is full-coilover double-adjustible 15 position custom length koni's with an external resevoir then add your suspension bushings and sway bars. Expect to pay around $3500 though...
Old 10-18-2002, 02:52 PM
crxrocks

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
Understeer is safer for 95% of the population because once the car starts doing what the driver doesn't want, most people lift off the throttle. Doing so makes the car steer again, without transitioning to oversteer. Oversteer requires an ADDITION of throttle, and the ability to know how much correction is needed. Oversteer on the street is a dangerous situation, it's how drivers get killed when they wrap their cars around light poles driver's door first. The way it is, CRX's have a natural tendency towards lift-throttle oversteer [or late braking]. The biggest focus needs to be on front suspension to balance the car, and then upgrade both ends relatively equally, being sure to test and tweak each step. DO NOT fully upgrade a car's suspension for the first time and then go "see what it can do," I've had to fix more than my share because of something along those lines.

Yup, yup. I read a cool quote once, 'Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger."

Chris
Old 10-30-2002, 05:27 AM
Creep

Oversteer?

http://www.accesswave.ca/~andrec/Download/dorikon.mpg