Notices

Where do these wires go, and why won't my car start?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:23 PM
denraweb
Hella 3rd-gear VTec yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do these wires go, and why won't my car start?

1991 Honda CRX with b16a obd-0(?) PR3 ECU

Throwing code 15 (Ignition Output Signal)

Won't start...

Ok, here's some pics. It's the wire with the black sleeve sticking up. It is a WHITE wire with SILVER DOTS. It is all the second pin with one wire coming out of it on the fuse box under the hood. It's is the one circled. Also the bunch of 4 wires that is cut. There are 3 wires all blue/red, and one wire that I think is yellow or white with a stripe. It goes right where the ac lines go in the firewall, so I figured it's for the AC, since I don't have AC. This is how I bought the car. So the problem is this...

I have an obd-0(?) b16a with a PR3 ECU. Wired with an si harness with the hasport sub-vtec harness (the extra five wires you're supposed to add, 4 if you don't count the ground for the vtec pressure switch). I checked the plugs and everything, and they all seem fine, except that one wire (plus the bunch, assuming that's the ac, we won't worry about that). Now when I got the car, it was not running, and they previous owner didn't know what was wrong with it. He changed out the ecu, and distributor a few times each. Now that I got it, and ran the ecu codes and it was throwing a code 16 frist, Fuel Injection System. Fuel injectors were working, and the fuel pump was turning on, so I replaced the injector resistor box. It stopped throwing that code after a reset and re-crank. After that, it starting throwing a code 15, Ignition Output Signal. I tried changing the main relay that controls the injector, ignition, and fuel pump, and now it still won't start. ECU is no longer throwing a code at all, but still won't start. Pulled out the spark plugs (after smelling gas really badly) and they were completely black. I cleaned them and connected them to the distributor to see if they would spark, and it seems they all spark fine, but only on one spark plug, the one that goes to cylinder 4. All the others do not send spark to the plugs. So any idea how to check this?

So in a nut shell...

White wire with silver dots cut near fuse box, with no traces. Distributor only firing one spark plug (the one associated with cylinder 4). Car will not turn over, but it does crank (although seems to lock up every few seconds for less than one second, starter jam?). And an abundance of the smell of gas, as well as gas coming out of header (the flange where it meets the cat). Also, I know the gas is old, because I pulled out the spark plugs, and they were basically sitting in gas, when I tried to light them with a lighter, the gas didn't even catch fire.

Help??????

Plug circled...one pin/wire plug...

Crappy pic, but that's the wire that was cut or ripped...white/silver dots...

These are the wires I believe are for the AC. Can someone confirm this? They go into the firewall next to the AC hard lines...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:58 AM
jlicrx

all of those wires, including the white to the fuse box, are for the A/C - the one with the blue/reds should be yellow/green - is the ECU ground wire connected at the thermostat housing?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:27 AM
denraweb
Hella 3rd-gear VTec yo!

Yea, I did check the ground, to see if it was connected, and it is/was. But I do not have my voltmeter, so whether or not it's actually working is hard to say. But there is 3 wires ground to the same exact bolt from the previous owner...would that be a problem?

THanks for the input.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:30 PM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by denraweb
Yea, I did check the ground, to see if it was connected, and it is/was. But I do not have my voltmeter, so whether or not it's actually working is hard to say. But there is 3 wires ground to the same exact bolt from the previous owner...would that be a problem?

THanks for the input.
there should be 3 wires at that one ground connection - 1 black - 1 black/red - 1 brown/black - all connected to the little ring connector

Last edited by jlicrx; 08-14-2007 at 06:33 PM.