Notices

pulling ac

Old 10-13-2002, 07:41 AM
WhiteRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helms......that is definately the Bible for Hondas.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:47 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by WhiteRice
Helms......that is definately the Bible for Hondas.
offtopic was created for YOU. stop whoring unless you can help.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:56 AM
WhiteRice

Screw you man, if Chiltons sucks, which you own, TRY BUYING A HELMS...............That is not off topic.

www.helmsinc.com Even a website for you.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:47 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Both of you guys knock it off.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:38 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

They haven't had the '89 Civic Helms manual in stock for months, so Chiltons is the best I can do. I do most of my work on a sort of figure-it-out-as-I-go basis anyway.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:27 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

all you have to do is make sure the system is blead. There should be two bleeder valves near the fan. Then disconnect the two hoses that connect to the ac compressor (the one that is connected to the block ). Next, unclip the hoses from the fan shroud. If you can rear the bolts to take the fan off, do it. If not, worry about it later. Then (I think it's a 12 and a 14mm) disconnect the lines that run along the front, and rear up to the fire wall. You can unbolt the "pop can" at this time. Get all the hoses out. There should be some clips for the fan power. Unclip those, and fill them with greese. Then remove the condensor. Now you have room to rear down and unbolt the compressor from the engine. Been a while since I've done it on a 4th gen. But the sols got the old memory going! Hope I helped Blake!
Old 10-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

i can capture the freon myself possibly by bleeding this in such a manner. where can i recycle it? does mexican zoen take it?

how fast is the freon going to escape from this old system, i can bleed it out very slowly and not blind myself? can it _stick_ to my hands in such a way if i were to wipe my eyes it would damage them? what will surely take it off my hands?
Old 10-14-2002, 02:32 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Honestly, when I pulled out my A/C, all I did was unbolt the high pressure line from the compressor a little bit until it started venting and stood back, it's not a big deal. Use some gloves and you should be fine [or else scrub well afterwards with handcleaner and soft soap]. If you have a schrader valve tool, you could always remove the core from the vent and let it go as well, but it's a different thread than a valve stem for a tire, so you can't just put like an old bike pump fitting and hose on it. [Though a rubber one might work...] But yeah, you'll have to worry more about all the white residue [that comes off with a rag], than going blind as long as you just stand clear and don't take a shot to the face.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:24 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

you can catch freon with a bottle, thats what they do professionally. put a milk jug upside down over it...freon is so light it goes right in the jug. you can recover 80-90% this way.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:53 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by fujiwara takumi
you can catch freon with a bottle, thats what they do professionally. put a milk jug upside down over it...freon is so light it goes right in the jug. you can recover 80-90% this way.
I'm not doubting that, but I'm not sure any place is going to take it in a bottle like that to recycle it.