Notices

"No Smoke"

Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 AM
DGPlaya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "No Smoke"

Just wanted to get your opinion on whether or not I should use a "No smoke" additive for my 88 Civic? I have over 225k on my ride and I do have some smoke coming out from time to time. I do have an oil leak, but I thought maybe this would help.
What do you guys think??
DGPlaya
Thanks homies.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Hondelso

it may work depending where the oil is burning from. IF your rings are going bad, then it won't matter too much what you do, unless you replace your rings. 225k miles it's pretty much time to retire the motor, or take it apart replace worn rings, seals, gaskets, clean it up.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:50 PM
DGPlaya

Thanks man. Car still roll'in though. I replaced the rotors and pad last weekend. What a difference..
DG
Old 06-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Don't put that shit in your car!

:fawk:
Old 06-28-2007, 06:07 PM
bluevette1978
Don't ask.

I only had this problem with one car I owned, a 92 Ford probe. I put in some of that engine restorer stuff, you know the two part jobber where you put one bottle in with an oil change and the other in the gas tank at the same time. It made a HUGE difference. That was at 186K miles and about 4 years ago.

I sold the car to a guy that my mom works with and the car is still on the road today with over 300K miles and no smoke since! This is just my testimony, take it or leave it as you will.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

it's like a bandaid on an amputated leg. it may work, but not for long.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:52 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by bluevette1978
I only had this problem with one car I owned, a 92 Ford probe. I put in some of that engine restorer stuff, you know the two part jobber where you put one bottle in with an oil change and the other in the gas tank at the same time. It made a HUGE difference. That was at 186K miles and about 4 years ago.

I sold the car to a guy that my mom works with and the car is still on the road today with over 300K miles and no smoke since! This is just my testimony, take it or leave it as you will.
Well, I had a '90 Prelude Si that smoked (yes oil) and a mechanic used engine restorer on it without my knowledge. Until I got the bill, that is. :upset:

Not surprisingly, it did nothing.

The car hadn't been taken care of prior to my driving it but I knew it wasn't burning oil due to wear on the cylinder liners, which is what restore is supposed to address if I remember correctly. It had been compression tested and did great on all 4.

Never got the problem taken care of prior to it being wrecked but the theory up to that point was a broken O-ring on piston(s) because it would smoke continuously while on the gas sometimes and others just a puff after idling....

I never tried seal conditioner(says stop leak or something on bottle but it really only conditions seals, by BARs I think) on it, which I use on my current civic , so I can't say for sure if something was broken or just not sealing properly b/c of the 160k miles :hsdunno:

I have a feeling it was a combination, fairly common for that model and several that came after it to smoke a little when you get on the gas after idling for a while (some b/c of rings wearing supposedly) but I don't know if valve seals wear out on 'ludes and accords as commonly as civics and integras :shrug:

Last edited by A-series; 07-05-2007 at 02:00 AM.