Notices

CRX Si bugs....

Old 05-29-2007, 09:37 AM
EthosX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX Si bugs....

I've had my rex for a few months now and have done minor work on it. I bought it from an older woman who used it to and from work, its got a fugly red and white paint job, previous younger owners since theres some interior painted along with wannabe brembos. I've fixed the valve cover gasket, distributer, spark plugs and wires and soon i'll replace the rotors and pads. Now its overheating when accelerating and idling, and when I turn the left and right turn signals on while driving the rpm/temp/fuel gauges go insane. The gauges do not do this when idling and turn signals are on. Any guesses? I'll post pics if needed.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:31 PM
daddiodanger
bad mo fo

as far as the gaudes go, have your alternator checked out.
i've seen something similiar happen before on a toyota and it turned out to be the alternator. it was old and wasn't working at its full potenial so it was sending power to the vitials (ie. motor)
Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 PM
ChrisS

Check the ground connection to the gauge cluster. (ribbon connector on the right side of the cluster; I think, the top black wire is the ground; I cannot remember, I fixed this on my car 2.5 years ago.) That's what was causing the same problems in my 1991 CRX Si.

Minimum: pull the connector and clean the connector and contacts with electronic contact cleaner. Inspect wiring at connector for broken/almost broken wires and fix any problems you find.

Check the grounds on valve cover and to the tranny.
Clean the battery terminals.

Your car probably is _not_ over heating, it's just the cluster grounding problem screwing up the temp gauge reading.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:53 PM
EthosX

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll keep you up to date with the results
Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 AM
mullinator

ChrisS, good work. -scott