Notices

Temp gauge going banannas!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 09:08 PM
madman4you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gauge going banannas!!!!!!

I have a 91 crx si with a first gen b16. turbo. and heres my problem.

Ok soo latley i noticed that my temp gauge in the cluster seems to rise really fast ans then dip, and basicly after that its like up and down like wave motion. I dont think my fan is coming on that often eaither, or not staying on long enough, sh#t gets way to hot.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:34 PM
menappi

Maybe you're low on coolant? so when the coolant does pass by it drops, then when there isn't any (recirculating) it gets hot.? Just a thought. If your fan works then I wouldn't think it has to do with the fan.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:26 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by madman4you
I have a 91 crx si with a first gen b16. turbo. and heres my problem.

Ok soo latley i noticed that my temp gauge in the cluster seems to rise really fast ans then dip, and basicly after that its like up and down like wave motion. I dont think my fan is coming on that often eaither, or not staying on long enough, sh#t gets way to hot.
Seeing that you're Turbo'd, it is possible that you have a slight head gasket leak and you are burning some coolant.
But...
Check your coolant level first. If that is ok, then check the operation of the fan.
Re-solder the connections to the fan and make sure to check the GROUND on the thermostat housing.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 3 cents.Switch the fan and just turn it on when you start the car.

You can check you wireing very easy just take the one wire of the sending unit and jump it to ground you gauge should go full hot.If it will not you have a bad gauge.If you fuel gauge and tack are working good you power and ground to the gauge cluster is fine you just may have a bad temp gauge.

To check you sender check the ohms you should see a nice smooth lowering of the ohms when you start to get hot.If not replace your sender.So like 6 ohms cold 0 ohms hot?????

Remember their is 2 coolant sensers.One is a 2 wire that one is for you ecm.The other is a one wire that is for you gauge its the little one under the dizzy.

Last edited by Fuse; 05-19-2007 at 06:12 PM.