Notices

d15b2 sticky throttle? when warm

Old 04-19-2007, 07:05 PM
91civicse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d15b2 sticky throttle? when warm

k so i just swapped out my old d15b2 for another lower mileage d15b2.. now the issue is that once the engine warms up the throttle becomes sticky? like when i push the clutch in with my foot off the gas the rpm's will continue to climb, but if i place my foot under the gas pedal and pull back they will drop right back to what they should be, until i hit the gas again. now this only does this when the car is warm. i have tried a can of throttle body cleaner, and drenched any moving parts in lubricant but no improvement (thought it was just sticky throttle linkage), all fluids are at correct heights. now i do still have most parts from the old engine but trashed the block so i could use some parts from that if needed but that engine got worse gas mileage so i wont to limit the amount of parts coming over from that engine. anyways im sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else but i tried a search and haven't found anything yet, so if you know of a post please direct me to it. but once again any help would be greatly appreciated cuz it sorta scary when i let off the gas and i start to accelerate
Old 04-19-2007, 07:30 PM
91civicse

forgot to mention that it has new plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. dunno if that makes any diff but thought i would mention it.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:50 PM
blitzer_
Automotive Technician

ok,

First, unhook any cruise control mechanism you have attatched to your throttle body, then check for the symptom again.

Any check engine lights? Maybe a sensor on your new intake (IAC, TPS, IAC, who knows) is bad.

Is your idle speed set correctly?

Did you use your old throttle cable or the new engine's? If it's the new engine's, swap it back out to the old one. If it's the old engine's, spray a good penetrating lube down between the cable and the sheath.

Did you use the throttle body off the old intake or the one attatched to the new motor's intake? If you used the new one, swap the old throttle body back onto the new motor's intake.

Chances are, the throttle body on the old engine wouldn't have had anything to do with the poor efficency. Who knows what was causing that....

Disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body; work the throttle body and see if it sticks, simulate a drive down the block, open it slow etc. etc.

With the throttle cable disconnected have somebody press on the gas and release while you watch the end of the cable, does it stick?

And for god's sake, don't drive the g-damn car while it's like that.
You might not kill yourself, but you might kill somebody else.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

-russell

Originally Posted by 91civicse
k so i just swapped out my old d15b2 for another lower mileage d15b2.. now the issue is that once the engine warms up the throttle becomes sticky? like when i push the clutch in with my foot off the gas the rpm's will continue to climb, but if i place my foot under the gas pedal and pull back they will drop right back to what they should be, until i hit the gas again. now this only does this when the car is warm. i have tried a can of throttle body cleaner, and drenched any moving parts in lubricant but no improvement (thought it was just sticky throttle linkage), all fluids are at correct heights. now i do still have most parts from the old engine but trashed the block so i could use some parts from that if needed but that engine got worse gas mileage so i wont to limit the amount of parts coming over from that engine. anyways im sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else but i tried a search and haven't found anything yet, so if you know of a post please direct me to it. but once again any help would be greatly appreciated cuz it sorta scary when i let off the gas and i start to accelerate
Old 04-20-2007, 08:51 AM
91civicse

Originally Posted by blitzer_
ok,

First, unhook any cruise control mechanism you have attatched to your throttle body, then check for the symptom again.

Any check engine lights? Maybe a sensor on your new intake (IAC, TPS, IAC, who knows) is bad.

Is your idle speed set correctly?

Did you use your old throttle cable or the new engine's? If it's the new engine's, swap it back out to the old one. If it's the old engine's, spray a good penetrating lube down between the cable and the sheath.

Did you use the throttle body off the old intake or the one attatched to the new motor's intake? If you used the new one, swap the old throttle body back onto the new motor's intake.

Chances are, the throttle body on the old engine wouldn't have had anything to do with the poor efficency. Who knows what was causing that....

Disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body; work the throttle body and see if it sticks, simulate a drive down the block, open it slow etc. etc.

With the throttle cable disconnected have somebody press on the gas and release while you watch the end of the cable, does it stick?

And for god's sake, don't drive the g-damn car while it's like that.
You might not kill yourself, but you might kill somebody else.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

-russell
thanks for the reply, yeah i dont have cruise control so thats not an issue. only code i got was for the 02 sensor thats replaced, but i guess doesnt rule out other sensors going bad. but yeah all parts on the motor were on the motor when i got it so i will try some of my old parts as soon as i can get a hold of them (on other side of town in a locker) the throttle cable is from the old engine, but yeah nothing appears to be noticeably sticking so i will have to go over everything again. idle speed is set to around 600-700 is this too low/high? but again it only happens when car is warm/hot for example my work is about 30mins away and the car will drive fine for 20-25 mins and then for the last couple of blocks will go crazy this seams to be getting worse sooner though as it gets warmer out. but yes i will take a whack at replacing the throttle body sometime this weekend (oh and by the way i have been taking extra care to stay far behind other drivers lately so that not to rear end or what not, and only drive it to work, for any extended drives i swing by my moms place and pick up her 07 eclipse...mmm....) but yes again thank you and i will try all of your ideas, sorry for the long post by the way