Notices

D-series Tranny Question

Old 04-19-2007, 06:11 AM
blitzer_
Automotive Technician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D-series Tranny Question

Hello all,

I've got a D15 motor from a 93 Civ in my '88 hatch. It's mated to a 4 speed and I'm planning some serious highway miles so that thing has to go.

Two questions:

1. I'm looking for a 5 speed with the tallest final drive but having trouble finding info on that subject. Highway economy is my goal. Does anybody have information regarding the different d-series tranny's and their final drives?

2. Do I need to be concerned with the year-model civic that I rob a transmission from? I know any d-series tranny will bolt up to that motor but I'm concerned about the driveshaft lengths being different on different years. Any experience here?

If everything goes as planned I'm going to drive my hatch from San Antonio to LA, up Route 1 all the way to Seattle, catch a ferry to Anchorage, Alaska and drive back down the Akron highway, through yellowstone, see Mt. Rushmore, hit pikes peak and then back down through the grasslands of nowhere, Kansas all the way home. I'll post pictures

-russell
Old 04-19-2007, 12:12 PM
5thgenownr
|\|00|3

The Y8 tranny will work, and it is the best D-series trany, IMO.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 PM
blitzer_
Automotive Technician

Right.

So the 88-91 HF transmission has the tallest 5th gear...

Elswhere I've read in '88 only they used a 22 spline count shaft on the transmission, and in 89-91 it is a 20 spline count. Any truth to this?

What about the driveshaft lengths, any difference in a EF vs an EG?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:28 PM
poweredbyhonda2

The hybrid HFtransmission I have runs 100mph @ 3.1k rpm's
Old 04-19-2007, 03:52 PM
blitzer_
Automotive Technician

For the record, you should never be doing that speed on a public street. I'm sure you made that test run on a designated drag strip with saftey gear and officials timing you etc. etc.

So what is hybrid HF transmission?

Originally Posted by poweredbyhonda2
The hybrid HFtransmission I have runs 100mph @ 3.1k rpm's
Old 04-19-2007, 04:11 PM
poweredbyhonda2

Originally Posted by blitzer_
For the record, you should never be doing that speed on a public street. I'm sure you made that test run on a designated drag strip with saftey gear and officials timing you etc. etc.

So what is hybrid HF transmission?
Si with a 0.694 5th gear from a HF. As for the street, your joking?:thinking:
Old 04-19-2007, 04:16 PM
blitzer_
Automotive Technician

Is there an aftermarket source for a .694 5th gear or do I have to rob an HF tranny?

Funny thing, ppl don't seem to want the HF tranny cause it's geared too tall, but I still can't seem to find any laying around...

Originally Posted by poweredbyhonda2
Si with a 0.694 5th gear from a HF. As for the street, your joking?:thinking:
If we start blabbing about speeding on public streets they'll do the responsible thing and lock the thread. Don't get my transmission thread locked.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:02 PM
poweredbyhonda2

Originally Posted by blitzer_
Is there an aftermarket source for a .694 5th gear or do I have to rob an HF tranny?

Funny thing, ppl don't seem to want the HF tranny cause it's geared too tall, but I still can't seem to find any laying around...

If we start blabbing about speeding on public streets they'll do the responsible thing and lock the thread. Don't get my transmission thread locked.
You asked, I told you what I was running, gear and how to get a low rpm freeway speed. I dont need someone telling me not to speed on public roads. Im 40 years old not 16 and does anyone know what calculation is. They are tons of sites with rpm to mph calculations for gear ratios. That is how you can determine your speed without actully doing it. I think at 4500 rpms I can go like 178mph.:jawdrop: