Notices

89 CRX DX with JDM D15B Questions...

Old 03-31-2007, 11:58 AM
89D15CRXDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 CRX DX with JDM D15B Questions...

Alright, where do I start? I took out my D15B2 engine and installed a D15B VTEC motor. Well, as I'm sure everyone knows, the D15B came from the 92-95 Civic so it's OBD1, whereas the D15B2 is OBD0. So I followed Kurts OBD0-OBD1 writeup and converted the DX harness from DPFI to MPFI and changed the dizzy plugs and cut the knock sensor off the DX harness and installed it in my Xenocron OBD0 to OBD1 ECU harness. I have a P28 ECU on my motor. The problem is is I did all of this except I have no spark at my dizzy. It's getting power so I can't figure it out. I'm sure it's either ECU or my wiring. But I was confused about a few things. First of all, if I MIGHT have crossed the wires for the CYP and CKP (blue/yellow and blue/green wires) would that make me not get spark? Doesn't seem right...I think it would just make the timing retarded. Anyway, I read a writeup that said I have to remove my knock sensor wire from the DX harness and install it in the conversion harness. Then it said to ground the wire. Also, it said that there was a two wire plug (which I installed from the D15B2 block into the D15B block and hooked up) but it said you only use one side of that plug. I'm confused here. The motor is in, I have fuel, I have NO spark. Can ANYONE PLEASE help me out?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 PM
89D15CRXDX

Also, this is the conversion writeup that I followed for the wiring. But what the hell is he talking about when he says ground the shield of the wire? How do you do that? I mean, I'm not a retard or anything like that but for some reason, I don't know what he is talking about when he says "shield" of a wire. Oh, and btw, I have an 89 CRX DX that I've already converted to MPFI.

2. Distributor. This change is very similar to what is required in an HF/SI. Simply interchange the plugs, making sure you place the same color wires on the DX harness in the spots occupied by the same color wires on the 1992-1995 harness. There are just a couple of exceptions here. The 1992-1995 harness has a yellow/green igniter signal wire. On the DX harness, this wire is white. But it is of a larger diameter than the white wire used for the distributor sensor. The other exception is the extra two wires. These are used for the CYP sensor on 1988-1991 distributors but for the CKP sensor on 1992-1995 distributors. As I said in the other thread, you can use the wires from a 1988-1991 HF/SI harness. This harness has a nice, neat cable with a light blue shield that has both wires. Remove this wire, keeping the pins for an easy, clean install. Connect the shield of this wire (and the knock sensor wire) to a ground. You can add one if you like.

You then need to change the plug that has the distributor power and tach output. You can either cut and solder. Or you can remove the spade connectors and put them in the appropriate places on the 1992-1995 plug. Just make sure you also use the rubber seals on the wires if you go this route. It can be a little tricky to put them on the DX wires, though.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:09 PM
89D15CRXDX

I'm going to replace the dizzy tomorrow with a D15B7 dizzy and see if that helps. Also, The only grounds I have are the three grounds at the thermostat housing. Which other grounds should I have? Tranny to chassis and valve cover? Does anyone have any pictures of their ground setups?