Notices

B16 vs zc

Old 10-08-2002, 04:10 PM
crxrocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch

These engines come with supposedly only 40,000 or less. Its not like it's going to get worse with age if it isn't being used.

As for the research that is what I got from asking the people on Honda-Tech, they generally say ZC is a waste of money and is not reliable. It's basically a toss up. Sure one engine may be fine, another riddled with problems. But as for B16A I hardly ever hear reliability problems with them.
The ZC engines come with the same claim, about 40k miles. It is a Japan emissions thing, so any USED Japanese engine probably has about that many miles on it.

Ah... Honda-tech... that is why I never go there.

Chris
Old 10-08-2002, 04:13 PM
Shea-bird

Originally posted by WhiteRice
Well lets see. It's just another cam.....oh yeah, don't forget about the extra ~30 HP and the ~10 ft/lbs of torque compared to the a6. But it's just another cam.

yeah so do a search on here and h-t and see what you come up with. my friend has had 2 zc's both of which are not faster than my crx si with the same mods...

the a6's were underrated from the factory...or somehow 12 years later they have somehow increased in hp drastically.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:17 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Honda-Tech seems to know more about anything Technical than any other forum I've been to. HAN is usually younger kids just getting into it. H-T is older guys who have been into this stuff for a while.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:08 PM
excitid

They also seem to have more money then our broke asses so a zc isn't even on there wish list. But they do have alot more pre 92 civic members which makes it easier to get alot of opinions.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:18 AM
slomo

i'd go zc turbo before b16 anyday.
whoever said that zc's were unreliable is pretty hard-headed. they're just as reliable as any other engine coming from Japan.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:35 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
Honda-Tech seems to know more about anything Technical than any other forum I've been to. HAN is usually younger kids just getting into it. H-T is older guys who have been into this stuff for a while.
Honda tech is full of a bunch of stuck up guys that think just because they blew a ton of money on stupid things, but actually learned from it, they know all there is to know. The reason you see more "younger guys" here on HAN is because H-T is normally so abrasive to people with post counts under 100 that they go elsewhere. More than one "tech guru moderator" on honda tech has proven themself a complete and utter moron in engine matters for me to ever pay much attention to that site other than their large competition forum.

That said, I see more an more people bringing up the ZC for it's cost benefit. The thing to keep in mind is that in it's day, the ZC was a factory hot-rod engine, just as the B18C5 was later. Highly tuned and high-strung from the factory with the tranny gearing built solely for fast accleration. When comparing a B16a to a ZC, the thing I always have to look at is streetable potential. The ZC is a decent engine, but when it comes to boost or nitrous, the ZC is a ticking timebomb 8 out of 10 times. The main reason is because of a common Honda fallacy; a bad air bias to cylinder #3. Usually the only remedy to keep #3 from grenading itself is to run the whole engine on the rich side, which costs you power anyways because you end up with one cylinder running properly and 3 running rich versus the usual 3 running properly and 1 running lean [dangerously lean if you're relying on more oxygen in a poorly designed intake manifold]. Sure, there are other manifolds you can bolt up to a ZC, but none of them really solve that bias problem.

On the other hand, the B16, although much more expensive, is a much better engine if your goals are to build to the sky's limit. The aftermarket for this engine is much more widespread, and in fact is still being supported and developed. Besides the obvious advantage of a much higher usable redline, the B16 also has the advantage of much more transmission gearing options that you can't really find for a ZC. I know money doesn't grow on trees, but unless you just want a mild bump in power and want stock handling on stock suspension, the B16 would get my vote, even though it is far from my favorite engine to recommend.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:58 AM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

I couldn't have said it better myself about Honda-Tech. They are about the biggest bunch of a$$holes I have ever talked to.:fawk: