Notices

B16 vs zc

Old 10-07-2002, 05:07 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZC is a 14 year old engine, so anything sitting around that long gets messed up. Plus their sensors get broken from being taken out of the car and left on the ground. I've never heard anyone having a ZC and not having to replace a bunch of stuff on it.

As for B16A why would you need a new clutch? You need a B-series tranny, its not like you can use your old D-series one. And I don't think they would come with bad clutches.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:09 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I personally want to do a B18A swap. Its about as easy as a ZC swap. Its USDM so its better for emissions. Its got a lot of torque, and is good for turbo.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:29 PM
crxrocks

Man, where is my bull**** flag when I need it....

Well ZCs have bad reliability, and plus parts are hard to find for it.
ZC's imported from Japan have no more reliability problems than any other USED engine. It is possible that you hear about more problems because anyone with basic tools thinks that they can install one.

Parts are hard to find? Hardly. Here is a basic rule of thumb... Pretty much anything that goes in or on the block will be from the d16a6 and anything that goes on or in the head is going to be from the '89 Integra. Of course this isn't true of all items, but it is true for most of them. Yeah, you are right, there aren't any parts available for the d16a6.

With B16A you have probably the most parts available for any engine and I never really hear anything bad about them.
Where the hell have you been? I always hear stories about problems with b16's. But, most of them are related to installation, just like about 90% of the stuff I hear about the ZC.

ZC is a 14 year old engine, so anything sitting around that long gets messed up. Plus their sensors get broken from being taken out of the car and left on the ground. I've never heard anyone having a ZC and not having to replace a bunch of stuff on it.
This isn't much different than the b16a which everyone gets for their 4th gen swaps. They are both about the same age and are prone to having the same problems. I think the reason why the TPS of the b16's rarely comes in broken is because the b16s are usually shipped w/ the transmission attached, unlike many of the ZC motors.

As for B16A why would you need a new clutch? You need a B-series tranny, its not like you can use your old D-series one. And I don't think they would come with bad clutches.
WTF are you saying? Are you saying that you would use a 10 year old clutch in a new engine installation when you have no idea about the quality of that clutch? Ok, so they must be easier on cars in Japan, right? hahah Yeah, right. Your statement is about the funniest I have ever heard.

Maybe you should do a little more homework, before you start spouting off common misconceptions about the ZC, huh?

Chris
Old 10-07-2002, 06:01 PM
WhiteRice

Crxrocks, you took the words straight out of my mouth....I had a nice thing written and you got in before me!!!!:fawk:
Old 10-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Shea-bird

A ZC is no better than a D16A6 IMO. I have seen a lot of a6's dyno equal to or better than that of zc's. I also think they have a slighty better powerband despite zc's having a higher redline.

anyway, no point really in doing a zc if you have an si. go b16 or b18. lates
Old 10-08-2002, 11:29 AM
Shea-bird

Originally posted by slomo

Exactly!

4thgen, where did you hear that ZC's were un-reliable? I've heard nothing but good things about them.

well for one...my friend threw a rod in his 1st zc. I am not a big fan of them. they all seem to miss at low rpms and don't offer much over the d16a6 except another cam.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:45 AM
crucial Si
Banned

Originally posted by Shea-bird

...don't offer much over the d16a6 except another cam.
that ALL it really is.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:12 PM
4Gen4DoorAccord
I love rice...w/ teriyaki

the combustions chambers are different, along with the zc has much stronger pistons and rods (yes it is not bull**** go read about ZCs), and the hks and jun combo for cam and cam gears are unbeleivable for the ZC (excuse the fact they they both run over 1k).
Old 10-08-2002, 02:41 PM
WhiteRice

Well lets see. It's just another cam.....oh yeah, don't forget about the extra ~30 HP and the ~10 ft/lbs of torque compared to the a6. But it's just another cam.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:38 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Originally posted by crxrocks

WTF are you saying? Are you saying that you would use a 10 year old clutch in a new engine installation when you have no idea about the quality of that clutch? Ok, so they must be easier on cars in Japan, right? hahah Yeah, right. Your statement is about the funniest I have ever heard.

These engines come with supposedly only 40,000 or less. Its not like it's going to get worse with age if it isn't being used.

As for the research that is what I got from asking the people on Honda-Tech, they generally say ZC is a waste of money and is not reliable. It's basically a toss up. Sure one engine may be fine, another riddled with problems. But as for B16A I hardly ever hear reliability problems with them.