Notices

88 civic wont start.. help!

Old 10-05-2002, 05:29 PM
arowsell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 civic wont start.. help!

We're having a problem with an 88 civic that is having problems starting, and I was wondering if anyone could give us a hand.

When we turn the key, we hear a loud click. All the lights on the dashboard come on, the radio, etc. Turn the key back, try it again, and sometimes the engine tries to turn over but its slow and then just stops. Sometimes the engine WILL start, but not always. When it does it's fine.

We just replaced the battery, and I dont think it's the alternator because eventually we CAN manage to start the car.

Today, we replaced the distributor cap, the sparkplug wires, and the rotor. Since then, the problem has gotten worse, and takes almost a dozen tries before the engine does anything more than click.

Not too long ago, my uncle, a mechanic, removed my starter and inspected it. He said there didn't appear to be any visible wear or problem with it. After he put thestarter back in, the problem went away for about a month or so.

We think the problem might be due to a loose connection or something electrical.

Has anyone has this problem, or might know how we can fix it? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:07 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

It is probably the starter. My car did that too. It wouldn't start. I would replace things like spark plugs and wires and it would go away for a couple weeks. Soon after replacing almost everything it would take like 30 turns for it to even attempt to turn over. Just because the starter looks ok doesn't mean it is, you can't see inside of it to tell. Just get a new one. I have and have had no starting problems since then (except for main relay).
Old 10-05-2002, 07:12 PM
WhiteRice

It might be the ignitor inside the distributor. You might check that out. You can run a test on it. The part is about 80 bucks at Autozone.

http://www.quickhonda.net/index2.htm
Then go to "the garage" then to "service manual" then to "online 1991 mechanical service manual" then to "electrical" then "23-63"

I changed mine out about 4 months ago or so, it's VERY simple.
Old 10-12-2002, 03:05 AM
PnX-R

Check for spark....

Give the Starter a good thump.. That sometimes help.. And if it does, replace your Starter...
Old 10-15-2002, 05:38 PM
mullinator

Your ignition system isn't going to affect the rate at which the engine cranks. The most common cause I've seen is a bad connection for the thick wire that goes from the positive terminal of the battery to the terminal on the starter. It restricts the amount of current that goes to the starter. Often this problem happens intermittently (b/c the wire gets 'jiggled' when you drive it) and could get better if you replace the starter (the wire connections might get a little cleaner during the procedure).

I would pull and clean the all the connections at the battery, the ground wires (there's usually one going from the battery to the block and one from the valve cover to the upper radiator support), and the wire that goes to the starter.

Good luck! -scott