Notices

dohc zc

Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 PM
SHUA619CIVICSI
1991 CIVIC SI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dohc zc

im geting a dohc zc and my ? is they sell headers for the sohc zc but they say 2 get the sohc and get a 88 integra xsaust manafold gasket and port it 2 size so i want 2 just by a dohc header with out doing the sohc and porting so where can i find it help.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:51 PM
SHUA619CIVICSI
1991 CIVIC SI

also im looking for full gasket sets,cams,cat back i can use a 88-91 civic and raceing clutch,just stuff i can put in when its out oh and a 88-91 intgra ecu thats a 5 speed, and a lightend flywheel, thanx for ne input

Last edited by SHUA619CIVICSI; 01-31-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:53 PM
SHUA619CIVICSI
1991 CIVIC SI

sorry an 88-89 integra ecu
Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 PM
88crxTurbo
Clean and Simple

Hey dude, I have a dohc zc in my rex as well, mine's turbo though. anyway as for the header just read this little insert below. I would just do what it says. Hit me up if you need any help with this engine. I know them pretty well.

" The scoop on the headers, is that while the bolt pattern for the Civic SOHC engines and the ZC engines are identical, the port pattern is not. The ZC engine has the ports shifted almost 3 mm (appx 1/8"). In real terms, this means that when you use the SOHC header, the ports do not align properly. The exiting exhaust gases literally run into one edge of the misaligned header flange. You can see this by holding the steel exhaust gasket from the ZC engine up to the DC header.

The easiest and best solution is to use the ZC gasket as a template and mark the misalignment. Using an air grinder, with a small stone "port" the header to match the ZC port configuration. While you're at it clean up the entry point of the header a little so that the whole port on the header is slightly larger than the ZC port. It is an old, but proven trick that the larger header port decreases the chance of exhaust gas reversing flow and re-entering the still open exhaust valves. It is better to have the port larger than to have them matched identical. Do not under any circumstances grind the port on the head to match the header though. This gives poor results."
]
Old 02-01-2007, 08:25 AM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by SHUA619CIVICSI
im geting a dohc zc and my ? is they sell headers for the sohc zc but they say 2 get the sohc and get a 88 integra xsaust manafold gasket and port it 2 size so i want 2 just by a dohc header with out doing the sohc and porting so where can i find it help.
we have a drag only 89 STD hatch with DOHC ZC and have tried all kinds of headers on it - we have tried them without porting them and with them ported and see very little difference - the ported ones may make a few hundreths difference in the 1/4 mile, but not enough that you would even notice on a street driven car - some headers, like Chikara (which i wouldn't recommend) don't need ported - having tried a lot of different ones, i can tell you that of the ones made for the 88-91 CRX/Civic the Pacesetter header works better than the rest - yeah, i know it is supposed to be crap but it works - we currently use a Greddy for 92-95 Civic which is the best we have tried, but it hangs down a little lower than the ones made for the 88-91 and could be a problem on the street - just get a good header and 2 1/4" exhaust and you will be fine - we used to recommend DC Sports (which also used to work well) but since they were taken over by AEM the quality of their header has gone south - we have had them that don't fit right, poor welds, holes between the pipes and the flange and just overall poor quality
Old 02-01-2007, 08:35 AM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by SHUA619CIVICSI
also im looking for full gasket sets,cams,cat back i can use a 88-91 civic and raceing clutch,just stuff i can put in when its out oh and a 88-91 intgra ecu thats a 5 speed, and a lightend flywheel, thanx for ne input
there isn't a complete gasket kit available for the DOHC ZC - the closest you can come is the 88-89 Integra D16A1 gasket set - i wouldn't get a complete kit, but would get the 88-89 Integra gaskets for everything above the top of the block (you will also need the seals for the valve cover bolts from Integra B18a1) and 88-91 CRX/Civic Si for everything below the top of the block - we run Crespo cams in ours and are very satisfied with them - i would recommend that you not go lighter than about 10lbs on a flywheel and use a moly flywheel instead of aluminum - for the clutch, i would recommend the ACT Extreme Pressure plate and ACT Street Performance disc - we use that in our drag car launching and shifting at 8000rpm on slicks and it performs flawlessly - the ECU you want is PG7 from 88-89 Integra manual transmission