Notices

please help

Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM
ALLTalenTCRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

<p>okay so here's the problem... I got really lucky and got my hands on a 89 rex si ...the previous owner treated it like crap tho and it needed some knda serious work... I got most of it done but my main problems still stand... they are: 1: when I press the go pedal lol..it loses power.. and almost dies..2: problem number two is the coolent fan dosent come on at all... its functional but for some reason it just won't turn...and theres no sound... I did check the fuses btw... any help is much appreciated</p>

Last edited by ALLTalenTCRX; 01-23-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:17 AM
bob01721

(1) Could be lotsa things... from ignition (coil? wires?) to fuel (dirty filter?) to a vacuum leak somewhere. You'll have to check these things and eliminate them one by one.

(2) Did you check the fan motor by jumping it to 12V to see if it can turn? Probably the most common cause for a fan motor not coming on is a faulty temp sensor (in the radiator).
Old 01-24-2007, 11:31 AM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by bob01721
Probably the most common cause for a fan motor not coming on is a faulty temp sensor (in the radiator).
CRX doesn't have temp sensor in the radiator - the temp sensor/cooling fan switch is on the back of the block next to the oil filter - 2-wire connector with big black rubber boot - disconnect the 2 wires and connect them together - with ignition on, the fan should come on - if it doesn't, the cooling fan switch is bad or you have something messed up in the wiring
Old 01-24-2007, 12:17 PM
ALLTalenTCRX

thanks guys now I know were to look... and I have changed the filter the other day and I also got a new cap and rotor and new premium wires...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:24 PM
bob01721

Originally Posted by jlicrx
"... CRX doesn't have temp sensor in the radiator - the temp sensor/cooling fan switch is on the back of the block next to the oil filter..."
No kidding? DAY-um! The things you learn. See? You CAN teach an old dawg new tricks.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:01 PM
ALLTalenTCRX

thanks guys I did what you told me to with the fan and it must be a bad sensor.. as for the coil I called my parts store and they had to order it but i'll have all that and install it and keep you up to date on my progress ... thanks again
Old 01-24-2007, 06:48 PM
bob01721

"... as for the coil I called my parts store and they had to order it..."
Whoa! Did you check the coil? Are you sure yours is bad? If so, what exactly is wrong with it? Primary windings shorted? Open? Secondary windings?

I wouldn't be buying parts until you're certain they're the ones you need. Otherwise, this could get real expensive real fast.

Of course, if you're obscenely wealthy, you can disregard this. Spend your money and keep the economy rolling.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:22 PM
ALLTalenTCRX

how would I check it.. I mean i've done some work on cars but I don't really have a nack for it lol... so I'm guessing I take the coil off to check it... I was told that it could be a bad cylinder... I pray to god not though.. o and I'm not rich but I work full time lol
Old 01-24-2007, 07:54 PM
bob01721

You don't have to remove the coil to check it, but you'll need an ohmmeter. And you'll have to know how to use it (isolate the circuit so you don't toast the meter...).

There are three terminals of interest on the coil. There're the A (+), the B (-), and the secondary. Not sure about your car, but a common Honda set-up is BLK/YEL for the A and BLU or WHT/BLU for B. The secondary is the big wire that goes to the distributor.

There should be "about" an ohm between the A and B terminals. This is the primary winding. From A to the secondary should be somewhere "around" 12K to 35KΩ. This is the resistance of the secondary winding. If either of these resistance readings are way off, the coil is probably bad.

The plug wires should have "around" 25KΩ of resistance. Replace 'em if they have more.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:03 PM
ALLTalenTCRX

I got my coil tested and it all checks out I was told it might just be the distributor...so I'm kinda inclined to buyin a new one ...I guess what I'm sayin is ...could it be anything else.. I don't really want to buy a whole lotta parts I don't need lol