Notices

Noisy in 1st and 2nd gear(tranny bearing or shift bushing?)

Old 12-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy in 1st and 2nd gear(tranny bearing or shift bushing?)

My 91 crx si sounds like a bus(roaring noise like bad bearing or something) in 1st and 2nd gear. You can hear it slightly in 3rd sometimes. Could it be the shifter bushing? Or, is it a bearing in the tranny? I just recently swapped trannys after i changed my 1-2 shift fork, and i remember the other tranny had a similar noise. This is what makes me think the noise may be coming from the shifter bushing and not the tranny, but i'm just thinking. I'm hoping it's the bushing.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Tankard

Glad to see everybody jumped all over this to help me out. The auto parts store didi'nt have the shifter bushings. I dropped the rod at the tranny and the bushing looked fine. So, that's not making the noise, i don't think. I did:however, put some grease between the bushing and where it sits, and the noise seems not as loud. I also, noticed the noise lessened when i moved the shifter a little before it pops out of gear into neutral. I guess it's something you have to deal with, driving a car with almost 200k miles on it.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

That doesn't sound like a trans external issue to me.

Do you mean an RPM variable whine, only when the clutch is engaged? Did you replace the pilot bearing when swapping transaxles?

If you are running a 200k+ mile trans, that's definately the issue. Old transaxles will whine, you really can't escape it. Mine whines like crazy, but it still works so I live with it. :dunno:
Old 12-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Tankard

Originally Posted by Kai
That doesn't sound like a trans external issue to me.

Do you mean an RPM variable whine, only when the clutch is engaged? Did you replace the pilot bearing when swapping transaxles?

If you are running a 200k+ mile trans, that's definately the issue. Old transaxles will whine, you really can't escape it. Mine whines like crazy, but it still works so I live with it. :dunno:
Yep. I replaced the pilot and throwout bearings. Yes, it is RPM variable. It only does it in 1st and 2nd gear at certain RPM's only when the clutch is engaged. It's not that loud, just noticable without the radio on. Also, sometimes it does it and sometimes it does'nt. I just like for my stuff to be perfect, but i guess i'll just have to deal with this noise.