Notices

stats on a '86 Civic H/B 1.5L 5-spd

Old 10-03-2002, 06:22 AM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stats on a '86 Civic H/B 1.5L 5-spd

I just bought this car for 250 bucks and got a new carb for 15 last night, got it running. The car revs up like you wouldnt believe! We hooked up a tach and the rev limiter's set at like 9500 rpm.

I wanted to know the stats (hp and ft/lbs) and probably the redline so i know what i shouldnt rev it above. It's carbed so it doesnt like to stay running while cold; I think it just may need some fine tuning... especially since we guessed where about 5 of the 16 vaccuum hoses went.

The car runs good, the tranny shifts like my 2000 SI nice and smooth, new shocks, new water pump, the head was just rebuilt, new clutch (grabs seconds).... The only thing it really needs is a paint job, which im probably going to do myself. I've seen a paint job of grey primer and tons of clear... looked badass. Besides, i dont really want to spend any money on it, just a daily driver (and i still ahvent gotten my 2000 SI fixed yet, honda's still bein a bunch of *****es about it).

I think i got a damn good deal AND the body has NO dents.

Please post the specs if you can find em
Old 10-03-2002, 10:09 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

About 90 HP @6000 RPM
about 87 lb/ft of torque around 3k RPM

Factory redline is 6500, when you drive it you'll discover that it won't like to pull much past 6000 on the stock carb anyways.

Car weighs about 2k lbs.

Anything else in particular you're looking for?
Old 10-03-2002, 11:11 AM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

hmm... how hard would it be to port it over to f/i? I think they made f/i 86's... to much hassle?

I'm still not sure i got all the 16 vacuum hoses hooked up right =P
Old 10-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Hmm, let's see. For a full Si fuel injection conversion, you would need and Si 12v non-CVCC head, intake manifold, air hose with box, wiring harness, all sensors, ECU, Si fuel pump or better, Si fuel lines or better, and some really good diagrams. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but hell, that's why I bought an Si in the first place Good luck, and welcome to the 3G Civic/ 1G CRX family!
Old 10-03-2002, 03:49 PM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

im thinkin that ill take it to a local shop tomorrow; I know the owner, and im sure he's got lots of experience with carbs. More than i do anywayz... he'll probably know where all those damn vac hoses hook up lol

I think that changin it over would be more than it's worth... its just a daily driver, so if i can get it runnin decent for a few bucks ill be happy.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Gasoline Fumes
Automotive Enthusiast

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
About 90 HP @6000 RPM
about 87 lb/ft of torque around 3k RPM
It's 76 hp @ 6000 and 84 lb/ft of torque @ 3500.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:54 PM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

dang... that little of horsepower... it sure feels like alot more than that... i can get the tires to chirp in 2nd if i try, but that's a once in a while thing.

I've got lots of odds and ends i need to get... like the driver seat tilt handle, some tint remover to get the rest of that hideous purple tint off, some new tint to put on, headlights, a new tire... i figure after i dump 300 into the car (thats including title, plates, emission, safety, etc) it'll be runnin like a champ
Old 10-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

yeah, the carb'd 1.5 litre engines were not exactly the most powerful honda engine of the time. The power you feel is due to the car's light weight, what I consider a big plus in the 'fun factor' of the car. If you want to make it really fun, do a fuel injection conversion and shove in an 86-87 integra engine at the same time. I plan on doing that engine swap to mine in the near future, maybe even capping it with a true ZC head. Only time will tell, though... do any of you guys happen to know someone that will trade a brown-top ZC swap for a B17 shortblock?
Old 10-04-2002, 04:34 AM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

If I happen across an engine that's a great deal, and I can't pass it up... I will

You're rigth though, the car doesnt weigh much at all.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:51 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by Gasoline Fumes
It's 76 hp @ 6000 and 84 lb/ft of torque @ 3500.
Maybe the way you get them from the factory, not the way I build them

If you want some "real" fun :naughty: , you could always ditch the stock carb without the hassle of EFI