Notices

stats on a '86 Civic H/B 1.5L 5-spd

Old 10-28-2002, 05:18 PM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
I still have most/all of it
It all in working order? I think there's something f'ed up with the carb i have.

1) The car temp gauge goes all the way to hot, then goes back down to operating temp (although when the needle's at hot, the car blow cold air out of the heat) so I think the thermostat's screwy...

2) The car won't idle below 1000... it just dies below 1000. And if it's in the mood to idle, its around 1250-1750. Sometimes it still dies, especially when braking. I can actually make it die if i tap the brake pedal while im parked. Might be the alternator. who knows.

My point is, if ya wanna get rid of your stock parts... I'll take em
Old 10-29-2002, 06:06 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

If your temp is going full hot before coming down, that's most likely the cause of your screwy idle: air in the cooling system. If the thermostat was screwy, it wouldn't ever come back down in temp. You need to bleed the cooling system and get that straight before worrying about the carb.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:44 AM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

If your temp is going full hot before coming down, that's most likely the cause of your screwy idle: air in the cooling system. If the thermostat was screwy, it wouldn't ever come back down in temp. You need to bleed the cooling system and get that straight before worrying about the carb.
Ok, question. The heater doesnt blow out hot (or even warm) air until the temp gauge comes down from hot. If it was overheating at first, wouldnt it blow hot air out also?

Damn carbed cars =P
Old 10-29-2002, 09:15 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by JLAudioFan
Ok, question. The heater doesnt blow out hot (or even warm) air until the temp gauge comes down from hot. If it was overheating at first, wouldnt it blow hot air out also?

Damn carbed cars =P
Not if water isn't flowing through the block first. You seriously sound like you have a major air bubble in your cooling system. Try letting it heat up with the radiator cap off, when it goes to full hot and then starts cooling down again, make sure you keep the radiator topped off.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:41 AM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

Not if water isn't flowing through the block first. You seriously sound like you have a major air bubble in your cooling system. Try letting it heat up with the radiator cap off, when it goes to full hot and then starts cooling down again, make sure you keep the radiator topped off.

Ok. I'll try that tonight when i get home.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:28 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Yeah, he's exactly right, an air bubble would cause that. I didn't even think of that one.

That old hatchback is giving you hell though... time to swap engines
Old 10-29-2002, 12:01 PM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

Originally posted by Kai
Yeah, he's exactly right, an air bubble would cause that. I didn't even think of that one.

That old hatchback is giving you hell though... time to swap engines
lol... as long as it gets me from point A to point B... it's stayin pretty much as is. After i get more **** done to my 2000 SI (have to get it back first... should be within a month) i might tinker with the econobox... It'd be a sweet car if it had a paint job and ran a bit better

be even sweeter with a B16 in it though, wouldnt it? :naughty:
Old 11-01-2002, 03:00 PM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

mkay... failed emissions (although not too bad)

I went there pretty much knowing it'd fail; There's a big vac leak at the intake manifold, so i got a gasket, going to change it right now. Then i have to go get emissions & plates done tomorrow (heh, since my tags expire tomorrow )
Old 11-02-2002, 07:52 AM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

Yeah, the f'n car failed again. HC was even higher after i changed the gasket.... Nitrogen went down slightly.

so wtf am i supposed to do??
Old 11-02-2002, 09:14 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Retard the timing so that you're burning everything while at idle, and find the accelerator pump arm and gently bend it out of the way so that it doesn't work, then go get it tested.