Notices

Exhaust running rich!

Old 11-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Gillracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust running rich!

Got a 90 CRX with a ZC motor out of a Integra has a cold air system on it too. When i crank it up it blows black smoke and you can smell the gas fumes when you push the gas also sometimes you can smell it when your in stop and go traffic. What should i do to it with out messing with my great gas mileage? Thanks
Old 11-05-2006, 08:07 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

What kind of gas mileage do you get. If your running rich, you shouldn't be getting good mileage. Do you have a cat??
Old 11-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Have you had the taillights off? Sometimes a bad taillight gasket makes it eaier to smell exhaust fumes.

Have you pulled the injectors to check if one is stuck open? Have you compression tested the engine to see if you have a dead cylinder? Both conditions will cause excess unburnt gas escape into the exhaust.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you misfiring (bad plugs,wires,cap rotor).if you think you are misfiring pull one plug at a time if the engine rpm drops or the engine dies that cylinder is firing if you get to one and it will not change rpm or effect the engine at all i would start their.do you have a a/f control or bigger injectors adjustable fuel psi regulator if you do adjustment might be required.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Gillracing

Still have the cat I think! well the shell is there i'm asuming it still has all the stuff in it. I guess i could check in side of it to make sure though. It's not like it's running bad,missing or anything like that just the black smoke when you start it. I'll also check the injecters like you guys suggest as well thanks!