Notices

86 civic needs choke to start...why?

Old 10-22-2006, 02:54 AM
keep rersearch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 civic needs choke to start...why?

Please help....my 1986 Honda Civic 2we engine has been repaired. The engine has done 310000klm, has good compression, runs well. Had to refit a new head, timing belt and rings.

The problem is it needs choke to start and sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders (until it warms up). In winter it is worse, but still requires choke in summer here in Aussy. The engine feels a bit flat also. I have reset the ignition timing and this is ok. The car runs great but only when it has been running for a while. I could use the term "doughy" to describe how it is.

Would their be a problem with the carby? Havn't had much to do with civics or the 4 cylinder 2we engines.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

The mods might have to move this to the Pre-92 Civic section.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Do you mean EW2 engine?

Yes, the problem could easily be the carb. Has it ever been rebuilt?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 AM
keep rersearch

Yes...I did mean EW2 engine. The carby has never been rebuilt to the best of my knowledge. The cold engine runs well when I give it heaps of choke. As I understand it, the manual choke starves the engine of air and therefore gives a richer fuel mix to aid cold starting. How would rebuilding the carby help take out the flat spot and constant need to use the choke?. I assume their is only gaskets to change out.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Tankard

I"ve never heard of a manual choke on a car. I've heard of having to pump the gas on non fuel injected vehicles before starting, but never giving it choke.

Last edited by Tankard; 10-24-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:11 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

.... That is what they used before electric choke..

RX7's have the same thing.

If I were you I would want to rebuild the carb anyways, even if it does not solve your problem it will give you peace of mind.

When was the last time you did a tune up - Plugs, wires, oil change, and air filter?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Tankard
I"ve never heard of a manual choke on a car.
Before your time, I guess. Many older (early 80's and prior) actually have a knob you need to pull to set the manual choke. They usually pop back out after the car warms up, but some don't causing serious issues if you forget to disengauge it.
Originally Posted by Tankard
I've heard of having to pump the gas on non fuel injected vehicles before starting, but never giving it choke.
Some manual chokes are set by pushing the throttle to the floor when cold.
Originally Posted by racerdave
RX7's have the same thing.
Yeah, all 79-85 carb'ed versions. I never used mine, mostly because my '80 never ran. h:

There are a few parts to wear out in the carb, rebuilding it would be a good idea considering it is twenty years old now.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:10 AM
keep rersearch

No...I have not done a tune up as such.. However, the plugs and gap are good. Timing and points are set. I probably could replace the leads. But this still does not explain why the car runs ruff when cold and why it runs much better when it is warmed up. Particularly now we are in Summer in Aussy.

I am trying to get some analysis as to why it runs ruff when cold. Yes for peace of mind I could rebuild the carby but it may not fix the problem. This could be costly for no reason.

Any more clues.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:01 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

...... a rebuild kit for the carb is your best bet. You will have to do it sometime soon anyway since the thing is 20 years old...

It sounds like the carb to me.

There is really nothing else you can do unles you start troubleshooting, and we have already told you the first place to start since you will end up rebuilding it anyway........
Old 10-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Running rough when cold usually has something to do with the car's warm-up systems... in your case, the carb and the vacuum lines connected to it. The factory service manual is availible at redpepperracing.com, that is an excellent tool to help diagnose the issue.