Notices

86 civic needs choke to start...why?

Old 11-02-2006, 02:29 AM
keep rersearch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kai
Running rough when cold usually has something to do with the car's warm-up systems... in your case, the carb and the vacuum lines connected to it. The factory service manual is availible at redpepperracing.com, that is an excellent tool to help diagnose the issue.
Thanks Kai.....you are a thinking person. Thats what I like to see...check out the vacumn lines first. You never know I might find one with a crack or even one missing. That sure MAY save rebuilding the carb for no reason.

I will let you know what I find. Hope to get at it this weekend.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 AM
keep rersearch

Thanks guys...I have found two problems. First, the vacumn lines were cracked and perished. I replaced them and this improved somewhat. Second, I tightened all the screws on the carby and bingo.... it runs great now. Just about every screw was loose and must have been sucking air, as well as a few minor fuel leaks.

That sure beats rebuilding the carby.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:11 AM
keep rersearch

Default had to rebuild anyway

Guys....after all this time I finally had no choice but to rebuild the carby.

The main problem was the aluminium housing of the carby was all warped and distorted. It was a major job. had to totally strip all parts and surface grind using a thick slab of glass and emery tape. Even the bakerlite adapter plate that sits on top of the inlet manifold was warped.

I got some expert advice from an old guy who spent his life tuning carbies.

Aparantly, one is wasting their time just cleaning and replacing the gaskets and orings. It was amazing just how warped the surface plates were. This took several hours work. I was quote some $600.00 for the carby rebuilding shops to do it but done it myself for the cost of a $50.00 rebuild kit.