Notices

Help...NO BRAKES!

Old 10-19-2006, 03:17 AM
Hab Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...NO BRAKES!

Hi everyone...

So I drive a 90 Civic HB Si and the other day I'm driving along and I hear a "clunk" from the rear as I apply the brakes...and the car jerks a bit for a second and then everything is normal. So yesterday, I took off one wheel and had a look...the drum is rusted pretty bad and needs to be replaced...I gave it a couple of taps with a hammer to dislodge any rust...and put the wheel back on.
SO I get in the car to come to work today and (half asleep, it's 6:45am ATL), I'm going down the street and clue in the brake light is on...go to step on the break...and it goes almost to the floor! So upon gearing down..along with a little praying (and cursing) I got stopped. It was a fun ride to work.

So I need a little input on what the heck could be going on here...I don't have a lot of cash to throw at this. I need to zero it in so I don't waste cash.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:57 AM
m735is

If your brake light is on, you're probably out of fluid. You're probably out of fluid because your rear wheel cylinder is leaking-thus you have no brakes.

Good news though-the cylinder is pretty cheap, so is the hard line that I always break when I mess around with old rusty brake parts.

But if you're doing the drums you should do the shoes. And possibly the springs for the shoes. You may want to look at the other side cylinder to check it's condition also. Plus brake fluid for bleeding= not so cheap anymore, but not really a lot of cash if DIY.

PB Blast the snot out of the bleeders for all four corners or else you may be drilling those too.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:04 AM
Hab Fan

The brake fluid is almost at the max fill line....?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default this might help.

the master cylinders leak internally some times this causes the master cylinder to not be able to produce psi but there would be no leaks.a leak in a line,caliper or rear cylinder would also cause you peddle to go all the way to the floor.you could also bleed the system a lot of air in the system would also cause this.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:02 PM
MTEng

So... is the pedal still completely mush?? Or did it recover somewhat??

Pull the drums off and look for broken parts/springs and leaks ... this might help explain the clunk sound. Also look for cracked drums... though I doubt they are.

If everything looks OK it's most likely the master cylinder.

Basically reiterating what others have said... but take a (FREE) look at the rears and go from there.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Hab Fan

Here's a new twist...I had a thought today and pulled up the emergency brake handle...nada, there wasn't even any tension, no braking...nothing.

...and yes the pedal is still mush...there is a little break just at the very end of the pedal's range...enough in combination with gearing down that I can get stopped...currently taking a lot of side streets :P

...the rear wheel cylinder was replaced (both sides) 2 years ago.

...also I can't get the drums off right now...it's been pouring rain for two days and I don't have a garage...dammit (next house).

So here's my check list:

Drums
Leaks (don't think this is it or i'd be out of fluid by now)
Springs
Brake lines

All that fails: master cylinder.

Right?

Jason
Old 10-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say rear brake problem for shure rear brake adjustment is vary impotent
Old 10-22-2006, 04:53 AM
m735is

If you still have fluid, it shouldn't be a leak yet. Maybe the brake shoe pins came off and they're flopping around in there-or those friggin springs that hold the tension on the shoes. The cylinder isn't pushing on anything, so it's just being pushed out (where the leak may start). And that's why you don't pedal feel or an ebrake anymore. How's the fluid look-clean or dirty?
Rain won't kill ya, but no brakes could!
Old 10-22-2006, 06:31 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

sounds like your rears have some major issues...inspect each caliper and the master cylinder for signs of any leaking

you could also have a lot of air in your lines making them very squishy and the pedal going to the floor initially (have to pump to get any braking)...definitely bleed the entire system with new clean fluid and get the rears fixed
Old 10-22-2006, 08:14 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

I have had the same problem on my honda's, my rear left drum would leak. It got on my wheel and ruined the inside of my rim.

Just swith ur's out to GSR rear discs. For what it will cost you to replace all that stuff, spend a few extra bucks and get discs.

They are less hastle, and they will improve your braking.