Notices

Help...NO BRAKES!

Old 10-22-2006, 08:03 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineBoyzCRX
I have had the same problem on my honda's, my rear left drum would leak. It got on my wheel and ruined the inside of my rim.

Just swith ur's out to GSR rear discs. For what it will cost you to replace all that stuff, spend a few extra bucks and get discs.

They are less hastle, and they will improve your braking.
a note on using 90-93 Integra rear discs (please note that you don't need to get gsr as the brakes were all the same) you will have to upgrade your proportioning valve integra rear discs will require more fluid to work

all rear discs from a 90-91 CRX Si, Civic EX Sedan will fit you EF hatch (and will not need a larger proportioning valve)
Old 10-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Hab Fan

All great info and help guys...I really appreciate it...any input is helpful.

Jaje...or any of you...do you have any info/sites that have a "how-to" of how to do the brake conversion? Is this a costly and "involved" thing? Let me know, thanks!

Jason

PS> You called it an "EF" hatch...it's a 90 Si?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:57 AM
90_crx_flaze
Drift King

rear disc is a good upgrade, i just did mine for 300 plus new brake pads and some upgrade crossdrilled slotted that my friend gave me, i also rebuilt the calipers in the rear when i did it they were a bit tricky, i think they are a bit costy but there easy as pie to work on i redid my drums a year back and they still worked like shit im just not a drum guy i guess.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

if you look in our faq's we have this:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill.../Disc2Drum.htm

It's not too costly - you need the rear discs from a 90-93 teg (all where rear disc and the same size)...

You may want to upgrade the Master Cylinder to a 90/91 Civic Sedan EX or 90 Prelude Si (same kind as the Civic Ex Sedan - only civic that had rear discs). They are 15/16"

Last edited by jaje; 10-23-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Hab Fan

Ok...I was just curious about the conversion and found the following...let me know if I'm getting ripped off...

93 Integra Rear Right Trail Arm $75

93 Integra Rear Left Trail Arm $75

Two rear calipers $80 ($40 each)

Rotor's (New) - $18 each

Pads (New) - $22 a set

...plus brake cleaner...brake fluid...anything else?

...I'm curious about this because once it's done, replacing the rotors and pads is sooo much easier than drums and shoes.

Jason
Old 10-25-2006, 12:47 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

the other prices sound ok

but get the junkyard calipers and use them as trade ins (there's another word for them but can't remember right now) for a new rebuilt set of "loaded" calipers (meaning rebuilt and ready to go - and comes with pads)

do you plan on tracking the car? if so then do the brake lines with ss steel (resists stretching) and some DOT 4 non-synthetic brake fluid (ATE Superblue works well and is $10 a bottle)

while you have the RTA's out replace the bushings as the used ones or the ones on your car are probably bad
Old 10-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Hab Fan

Originally Posted by jaje
the other prices sound ok

but get the junkyard calipers and use them as trade ins (there's another word for them but can't remember right now) for a new rebuilt set of "loaded" calipers (meaning rebuilt and ready to go - and comes with pads)

do you plan on tracking the car? if so then do the brake lines with ss steel (resists stretching) and some DOT 4 non-synthetic brake fluid (ATE Superblue works well and is $10 a bottle)

while you have the RTA's out replace the bushings as the used ones or the ones on your car are probably bad
Those are junkyard calipers...and "turn them in"? I've never heard of that around here!?.

Tracking...you mean racing? If so, no...just an aggressive daily drive mostly. So no need for steel brake lines...overkill in my case I think. DOT-4...is that just for tracking? Would not DOT-3 suffice in my case?

Got a hint on where to get Bushing's?

Jason

(I know there are a lot of dumb question's...but just trying to cover all the bases...bare with me please)
Old 10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by Hab Fan
Those are junkyard calipers...and "turn them in"? I've never heard of that around here!?.
You can buy rebuilt calipers (loaded means they are completely ready to install w/ pads) from the local parts store. They are pretty cheap and you get a "core charge" (they expect you to return a set of used ones or you get charged an extra $40/$50 per caliper)...use the junkyard set as a core charge (or return an even cheaper set as they don't check - I got some integra calipers for my car and returned a crx hf set in its place)

Tracking...you mean racing? If so, no...just an aggressive daily drive mostly. So no need for steel brake lines...overkill in my case I think. DOT-4...is that just for tracking? Would not DOT-3 suffice in my case?
not just racing but going to autox events or just plain going to the track to have a "track" day - running in groups and not be allowed to race

Got a hint on where to get Bushing's?
your local auto parts store can get them or the dealer...they are just oem rubber bushings and the RTA is metal (it's the big one in the middle)...you'll need to get it for an integra as that's where you got your LTAs from...or you could get energy suspension bushings (polyurethane) - they provide you with better suspension response but harsher ride (a necessary in racing though)

(I know there are a lot of dumb question's...but just trying to cover all the bases...bare with me please)
we're all here with a common passion and people here just throw in advice (I forgot a lot about these cars as I was racing a 944 for a year and hadn't owned an EF civic/crx for a long time...only to buy another one and race it)...good luck