Notices

Grrr... Transmission

Old 10-15-2006, 01:14 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grrr... Transmission

My CRX has been sitting in my garage for 2 weeks now. I have been bummin a ride from my roomate to work, and I just miss driving my car.

I came home one weekend from a trip down south (140 miles ), and I took my exit, pushed in the clutch, stoped at the light, and went to put it in gear and it was kinda stiff, and then poped into gear, by the time I got home (1 mile) it was making a strange griding noise (bad bearing), so I figured it was the throwout bearing.

Tore it all apart (what a pain) and replaced the bearing (old one looks fine, and feels smooth, also it has a ACT clutch, and I dont know how many miles are on it, previous owner said it was fairly new)

The car shifts into gear when it is off. But when I start it up, and try to shift it into any gear it just wont go into gear, I dont want to force it. The only gear it will try to go into is reverse, but it just grinds away.

I have never had a problem getting it into gear or it poping out of gear (had the car for about 6 months)

Checked the clutch pedal, and it seems to be fine.

Heard about the (bitch pin) and mine is there.

It is a Y1 cable transmission.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sound like you clutch is not releasing will it shift into all gears with the engine off
Old 10-15-2006, 05:25 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

sounds like you need a clutch, maybe one of the springs broke on the disk
Old 10-15-2006, 09:48 PM
latinracerct

i was actually having the same problem and all i did was adjust the clutch just loosen it and pull on the wire until it looks tight enough and then tighten. it worked for me but dont over tighten it.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:53 AM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Yeah the clutch is not releasing...

It shifts into gear fine while its off.

I adjusted the cable all sorts of settings. Still wont go into gear.....

So I want a few more opinions before I go tearin out that tranny again.....
Old 10-16-2006, 10:25 AM
90_crx_flaze
Drift King

i can think of two possiblities, 1 a cylinder,spring on the clutch blew out, i had this happen from driving without useing the clutch pedel had to buy a new clutch, or the cable on the shifter is not tight enough and when you press in the clutch the lever on the tranny is not pulling enough to disengage the clutch
Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 AM
ChrisS

When your foot is off the clutch pedal, there should be about 2mm of freeplay at the clutch lever on the transmission. (if there's no freeplay, it's like driving around with your foot slightly on the clutch pedal.)

Another thing to check is the hole in the firewall that the clutch cable comes through. (is it still holding the clutch cable firmly in place?)

Otherwise, it sounds like pressure plate and/or clutch problem (as other people have noted).
Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

If you had a slight drop in clutch pressure, those would be the symptoms, then you need a new clutch master cylinder and/or slave cylinder.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:58 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Originally Posted by 90_crx_flaze
i can think of two possiblities, 1 a cylinder,spring on the clutch blew out, i had this happen from driving without useing the clutch pedel had to buy a new clutch, or the cable on the shifter is not tight enough and when you press in the clutch the lever on the tranny is not pulling enough to disengage the clutch
So far I am starting to think it is the pressure plate....

But will a pressure plate spring just break for no reason while I am on the freeway?

Cable on the shifter ,.... you mean clutch pedal?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:59 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Originally Posted by Line7
If you had a slight drop in clutch pressure, those would be the symptoms, then you need a new clutch master cylinder and/or slave cylinder.
Two words - Cable Transmission.

.... Sorry dont meen to be a smart @ss, its just everyone that I told my problem to, said its the slave or master, before I even spit out my symptoms.....

In my first post I said I have a Y1 Cable Transmission.

Thanks tho.