Notices

Haynes or chiltons manual...

Old 08-18-2006, 01:58 PM
redcivicforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haynes or chiltons manual...

I'm a female wanting to know at least the basics, like how to change a fuel filter, maybe spark plugs, etc just maintenance stuff for my 91 civic hatch. What would be most like Honda repair for dummies? I'm really starting from scratch, so which is easiest to understand, maybe step-by-step? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by redcivicforever; 08-18-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:19 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

get a helm manual for your car...it is the same book the techs use to repair your car (better than a chilton or haynes you get at an auto parts store - though nothing wrong with them they just don't cover everything)

2nd...do a simple web search (there are sites with step by step - always look at several DIY write ups and not just one)...it's not hard to do basic maintenance

Fuel Filters on Hondas are extremely easy (at least compared to several other cars I've done this to) - you just get dirty and have to have patience in getting the banjo bolts off of the filter (use helm or service manual for directions)

changing plugs and wires is also pretty easy, just remember to put some dialectic grease on the eletrical connections and the threads of the plugs to prevent them from bonding to each other due to the heat/pressure/current running through them

changing oil is pretty easy just have to reach up in there to get the oil filter off - use either a strap wrench or a oil filter wrench to remove, inspect the removed oil filter to make sure the entire seal came off with it, oil the new filters seal, tighten it by hand only as hard as you can (doesn't need to be tighter), use a new crush washer with the oil pan drain bolt (crush washers are made out of aluminum and good for one use...if you try to reuse them you have to tighten the oil pan drain bolt to the point it could strip or break)
Old 08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
88'CRX

Hey do u need to fill the filter with oil also or do you just put it in
Old 08-18-2006, 05:27 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by 88'CRX
Hey do u need to fill the filter with oil also or do you just put it in
Just put it on. Be sure to clean the surface on the block that the oil filter gasket touches. Put a little engine oil on your finger and put it on the oil filter gasket before installing. If you use a Denso oil filter, like I do, then you don't have to do that oiling step.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:35 PM
redcivicforever

Originally Posted by jaje
get a helm manual for your car...it is the same book the techs use to repair your car (better than a chilton or haynes you get at an auto parts store - though nothing wrong with them they just don't cover everything)

2nd...do a simple web search (there are sites with step by step - always look at several DIY write ups and not just one)...it's not hard to do basic maintenance

Fuel Filters on Hondas are extremely easy (at least compared to several other cars I've done this to) - you just get dirty and have to have patience in getting the banjo bolts off of the filter (use helm or service manual for directions)

changing plugs and wires is also pretty easy, just remember to put some dialectic grease on the eletrical connections and the threads of the plugs to prevent them from bonding to each other due to the heat/pressure/current running through them

changing oil is pretty easy just have to reach up in there to get the oil filter off - use either a strap wrench or a oil filter wrench to remove, inspect the removed oil filter to make sure the entire seal came off with it, oil the new filters seal, tighten it by hand only as hard as you can (doesn't need to be tighter), use a new crush washer with the oil pan drain bolt (crush washers are made out of aluminum and good for one use...if you try to reuse them you have to tighten the oil pan drain bolt to the point it could strip or break)
Hey, I know you've helped me before and now you give me all this great info and make me less scared about tackling all this-cause I really need all the help I can get! Wish you were in Denver I'd buy ya a drink Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:43 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i did relocated to Kansas City though so not that far...if you're in town shoot me an email...i just picked up a Civic hatch but for racing only purposes
Old 08-22-2006, 02:11 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The factory service manual is definately Hondas for dummies, it lays out every step to get from "broken" to "fixed." The creepy thing is, Honda techs rarely look at them... even though they should.
Fuel Filters on Hondas are extremely easy (at least compared to several other cars I've done this to))
BMW cartridge oil filters are more difficult to replace then Honda fuel filters. :chuckles:
just remember to put some dialectic grease on the eletrical connections and the threads of the plugs to prevent them from bonding to each other due to the heat/pressure/current running through them
Dialectric grease on the plug terminal and inside the plug wire boot, and antiseize grease on the threads.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:24 AM
redcivicforever

i did relocated to Kansas City though so not that far...if you're in town shoot me an email...i just picked up a Civic hatch but for racing only purposes
Kansas City, cool, my brother passed thru there on his way from Indiana (where he now lives) to Colorado coming hom for the holidays. My friend and I are planning a road trip to New York & Connecticut early next year. If all works out we may pass thru and I'll email you if we do
Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 PM
88'CRX

Hey where would i be able to buy one of those helms manuals for my car?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:22 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

you can find them on ebay or www.helminc.com