Notices

blue exhaust smoke.. help or suggestions anyone please?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:45 PM
anthony12389

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue exhaust smoke.. help or suggestions anyone please?

alright.. when i idle its fine, no smoke jus u can smell the exhaust fumes, i failed emissions pretty bad yesterday i was over the hydrocarbons by double an over the oxides of nitrogen by double, an barely passed the carbon monoxide.. but ne way back on subject.. wen i start to drive it smokes out blue.. an the more u give it gas an the further the rpms rev the more it smokes.. culd anyone help me with suggestions on how to fix or illiminate most the smoke? .. ive read an herd its culd due to burnin oil, oil in the combustion chamber or piston rings.. an all that is good money an machine shop work.. im really hoping its not the rings.. but if anyone has a similar problem an knows wut it could be or how to fix it please let me know asap.. :-\
Old 08-17-2006, 07:51 PM
screaminhonda

new cat? mines doing the same but there is no cat on it. so i know it wont pass smog
Old 08-17-2006, 09:21 PM
ChrisS

two things cause oil in combustion chamber:
-bad rings
or
-bad valve guides and valve stem seals

if it's a high mileage engine, it might be cheaper to replace it with a used single cam ZC (D16A6) from Japan.

A new cat will get rid of NOx. But, high hydrocarbons and CO mean your engine is way out of tune. (I replaced my cat and NOx went from barely passing to almost nonexistant. My engine's HC and CO were well within test limits even without the new cat. The cat was $114 including shipping and tax, just about a month ago.)
Old 08-17-2006, 09:39 PM
anthony12389

well about replacing the whole motor, its a b16.. i bought the car with the motor in it, i dont kno how much the guy ran the shit out of it an since ive had it, it hasnt really been ran hard, jus a few gears redlined, an a few races but not all the time, it dont even get drove everyday cuz im still on my permit i waited to long to get my license.. i was like fuck it i dont have money for a car then i had the money an got my permit then car an waitin till december.. an i have receipts i got with the car sayin the year, make, model, engine, an miles wen in the shop so i dont think there jus random receipts, the guys name an adress etc.. an with the receipt he replaced the rings.. nothin with valves or valve stems .. ive been online all nite for 2 days lookin it up an problems, im hopin not the rings because it has to go in a machine shop.. i dont think i need a machine shop for valve stems an shit do i? .. an about emissions i dont have a cat on it, but my boy has a crx with a high flow cat an he has his old cat ill put on it.. do u think its worth getting new valve guids an stems installed an seeing if it still does it? .. im not losing power or nothin that i kno of.. ne other things i can look for or tinker with to help?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:40 AM
ChrisS

Before you put your friend's old catalytic converter on your car, look at his last smog test numbers with that cat on his car. (if they're high, buy an new cat; his probably is worn out and tired.)

To do the valve stem seals and worn valve guides, the cylinder head has to be removed. You'll probably need to use a machine shop to check for worn valve guides and replace them as necessary. Just replace all the valve stem seals.

Do a leak down test on all your cylinders. (I don't know if it will show if you have a bad oil ring; but it will show the general condition of your engine.)

Getting smog numbers in line:
-replace air filter
-replace oil and oil filter
-regap or replace spark plugs (if worn, check gap before installing new ones)
-reliable spark (bad wires or ignitor)
-check timing
-adjust valve clearances
-check all vacuum connections
-check all ground connections to engine and transmission (bad ground can cause sensors to mis-read and the car's computer works off what the sensors tell it; garbage in, garbage out)