Notices

91 CRX brake pedal goes to the floor... HELP!

Old 06-28-2006, 06:29 PM
sylwia12784

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 CRX brake pedal goes to the floor... HELP!

My name is Sylvia and I'm an owner of a 1991 honda crx. I took my car to get repaired for an axle, and rotors and brake pads. I am now having a problem braking. The brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and nothing happens I have to use the emergency brake to stop.
I was told by one of the mechanics that my brake line was not working correctly, then I was told that the master cylinder is the problem. Then the last time I was told that there is air in my brake line and they tried to remove it manually and it didn't work.... please help! I put so much money into that car I just don't want to see it go.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Well, it could be any of the above... Master cylinder, a cut bad brake line, or air in the lines... My guess is the master cylinder, because even if 3 of the 4 lines were good, and if theres some air in the lines, there should still be some pressure... But I dont know for sure, thankfully Ive never had this problem... ::knocks on wood::

And I honestly wouldnt be driving the car like that, I wouldnt depend on just the ebrake for daily driving... From the post it sounded like youve been driving it here and there... I would have it towed to a shop in all honesty...
Old 07-03-2006, 08:30 PM
SirHybrid

Stay the hell off of the road. The last thing I need is some junker crx smashing my beautiful car to pieces because the driver is relying on the ebrake to stop the car. Make sure the master cylinder if full of brake fluid. Pump the brake pedal to the floor a couple times and hold. Check the master cylinder and see how much brake fluid is in it. If it is full, it probably means that you don't have a bad brake line. (no leaks anyways) If it is empty, look under the car for a puddle of brake fluid. Also you may just need to bleed all the brakes. Buy a Helms manual and Follow Directions Carefully. Bleeding brakes is easy, as long as you have a friend to help you.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
LeMangelo

Default Cars over 15 years old are restored not repaired.

I have a 91 CRX and had a failed master cylinder,the pedal goes right to the floor.Worn out seals in the M/C can be damaged by installing new pads,the caliper piston is pushed back to get thicker new pads to fit.Age is the primary reason it failed the brake job just tipped it over the edge.Did your rotors have a lip on the edge which was worse on one side?This could be caused by a sticking caliper which will damage your new rotors.

Mechanics do not want to scare people away with a huge bill so they never come back so they do a partial job knowing you will come back when the parts they did not replace fail.Fix on failure is the most expensive way to maintain a vehicle but mechanics need the customer to come back and customers do not want to spend $1000 just $300 four times.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=M39780

It is important to "bench bleed" the M/C-the new unit I purchased had a kit with hoses and fittings.Attach the hoses to the M/C then put the ends into the M/C reservoir.Press the piston over and over until the fluid coming out of the M/C is free of bubbles.

You can bleed brakes yourself with a tool called a mightyvac,it sucks the fluid out with a hand pump and does not require an assistant.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39522

Last edited by LeMangelo; 07-04-2006 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Links