Notices

Is 12 MPG a little bad?

Old 06-28-2006, 08:34 PM
zekezank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, here is some new info:
I pulled the plugs and they were extra black and one seemed to have some goo on it. I changed those, but didn't notice any imediate differene.
I also went ahead and got a new cap and rotor, but didn't have time to change that.
One problem that I may have is since I did not have the car when the engine was swapped out, it may be running the same ecu that came in the CRX. If so I would probably want to find one out of an integra that matched up to the b18a right? If so does anyone know of any good guides that would help me in switching that over, as I am sure its involves more than pulling one out and putting the other in. I also have the option of checking my timing, but I don't have a timing light so should probably get one.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:25 PM
97civicEXVTEC

Making sure the ecu is the right one for that motor would be the first thing I would do. lol
Old 06-29-2006, 01:27 AM
90CvcDX
kekeke

my bone stock civic gets like 10mpg, so dont feel bad :happysad:
Old 06-29-2006, 03:47 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by Exempt
Id buy a Denso O2... Im pretty sure those the OEM ones... And Ive heard of a few problems with the Bosch O2s in Hondas...

As for a good tune up... Plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, air filter, ect...

You said it smells like its burning rich, pull the plugs and find out... Usually theyll let you know...
I've heard that before, but I'm using a Bosch 02 sensor on my b16a, and it works pretty well.

Originally Posted by zekezank
I get about 12 MPG, which seems awful to me.
Yes... That is awful fuel economy Even my trans-am gets around 18-20
I get about 25-30 in my crx, so there's definitely something wrong. My friend was getting like 9mpg for a while, and that was because his fuel injectors were leaking. Look for leaky injectors, fuel rail, or emissions systems problems(02 sensors, evap canister, etc..) for problems. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 AM
90CvcDX
kekeke

i thought on obd0 cars the o2 sensor really didnt affect the motor's ability? not saying you shouldnt drive around without one just that an obd0 motor doesnt depend on the o2 as much as an obd2
Old 06-29-2006, 04:42 AM
zekezank

ok, I checked my ecu this morning and it is correct one, its a pr4 out of a 91 integra. I jumped the wires to see if it would throw any codes but it did not.
So then I started looking for the O2 sensor, and found it, and followed the wires and it wasn't hooked to anything!
So now where does the o2 sensor hook to?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:54 AM
zekezank

OK, I found a place on the passenger side of the engine that the o2 sensor plugged into. Now after driving it a little bit my check engine light came on and I got an error 43, which is a fuel supply system error. Any thoughts on what might be the problem?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Tankard

Dern. 12 mpg in a Honda. The worst my crx ever got was around 22 maybe, when i accidentally left the charcoal canister hose at the bottom disconnected after changing my fuel filter. It now gets around 35 mpg with the sohc zc motor.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:50 AM
zekezank

I was looking over the engine, and I have found some hoses lose. Is there a good diagram of what goes where on a b18a in a 91 crx?
I have a haynes manual for the crx, but it doesn't cover much about the b18a I got in it.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:46 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by zekezank
I was looking over the engine, and I have found some hoses lose. Is there a good diagram of what goes where on a b18a in a 91 crx?
I have a haynes manual for the crx, but it doesn't cover much about the b18a I got in it.
Here ya go.
http://www.crxpower.net/~silverkorn/...hop_Manual.pdf
It's actually a repair manual for crx's with d/b16a engines. It should have a diagram of wires and hoses. It should be very similar to the b18a setup.

Originally Posted by 90CvcDX
i thought on obd0 cars the o2 sensor really didnt affect the motor's ability? not saying you shouldnt drive around without one just that an obd0 motor doesnt depend on the o2 as much as an obd2
Maybe so, but when my 02 went out, my fuel economy dropped to about 23-24mpg. About a 20% loss in my average fuel economy. Although I did change my plug wires and 02 sensor at the same time, so maybe the wires had more to do with fuel economy, but I doubt it...