Notices

Help with replacing 91 civic DX starter

Old 06-16-2006, 06:22 AM
91civicdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with replacing 91 civic DX starter

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone on here can help me out. If you reply to this post, PLEASE list the exact tools you used to complete the job.

I have to replace the starter on my 91 Civic LX trunk model, but was unable to find anything useful in my Haynes manual about how to remove the bottom starter mounting bolt. Here on the forums, almost everyone is talking about how easy it is to change out the starter on this model honda.
I have been able to get it to start in the past by tapping it with a hammer or wrench, and by roll-starting it as it is manual, but am taking a road trip this weekend and need something more reliable.

FYI: I changed the starter on my 93 Saturn SC2 a couple years back, and it was also a similarly difficult task as with the Honda. However, I had good access from the bottom (could not reach it from the top due to not having enough clearance).

Here is what I have tried so far:

I moved the air intake duct out of the way, detached two coolant hoses (plugged them) and moved them out of the way, and unbolted the little A/C canister (the one with three hoses coming out of it) from the firewall (and moved it out of the way).

I then tried using my heavy Titan socket wrench (3/8" drive side) with a universal joint (with some duck tape wrapped around it to prevent it flexing too much) and a 9/16" normal socket. I can't get the leverage focused close enough to the head of the bolt to break it loose because there is not enough clearance between the head of the wrench and the starter's bellhousing. I also tried the 9/16" socket with a regular 2 1/2" socket extension, but this didn't work either.

Next, I tried using my cheapo socket wrench (the one that comes with the little kits you buy from Autozone and Advance Auto Parts), hoping that the smaller size would give me enough clearance, but it did not (I used it in combination with the same methods mentioned above).

Thinking that maybe it would be better to use a metric socket, I compared the size of the 9/16" with my metrics and found the 14mm to be the closest match. I tried the 14mm with the two methods listed above, but still no luck.

Lastly, I tried using a slightly longer socket extension without the universal joint, but this did not work either.

That bolt still happily remains right where it was when I started.

Please help, as I am out of options, and more importantly, I don't want to round off the head of the bolt.

Thanks,

91civicdriver

Last edited by 91civicdriver; 06-16-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:21 PM
m735is

3/8" short 14mm socket, 6" extension and ratchet wrench. It was a straight shot for me, no wobble extension needed. I had to move some wires around and feed the socket between stuff, but not much trouble.

Spray some PB Blaster in there if there's any corrosion in your area.

Definetly METRIC!
Old 06-17-2006, 05:42 PM
ari_one

14 mm short 6 point socket with a 3/8 by 10" extension on a breaker bar. Had to feel it into place as you can't see it but that did it.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:58 AM
91civicdriver

Default Success!

I finally got it! The thing that worked, was buying another 14mm socket which had a much more snug fit. I used the same 2 1/2" extension and cheap socket wrench to break the seal. Once I got it out, installing the new one was a piece of cake. One question: What does that small black rubber piece on the bottom of the starter (near the lower mounting bolt ear) do? It looks like a nozzle of some sort...

Thanks a lot guys!

- 91civicdriver -