Notices

How long can i drive with no boot?

Old 06-13-2006, 08:05 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys, i bought both axles to be on the safe side, but as i was trying to get the passenger side lca to come off the knuckle, the ball joint threads got really damaged, which is ok because the boot on it was ripped anyways, so i'm just going to garage the car for now and replace all the bushings and ball joints on the front suspension and use my girl's dad's car to get around for now. But once again thanks for the info
Old 06-15-2006, 03:15 PM
shady visions

Originally Posted by SirHybrid
All the grease spins off if there is no boot. It's called centrifugal force, or something like that. More importantly are the ball joint boots. I had a ball joint break once going about 40 mph, and the wheel went 90 degrees sideways in the wheel well causing me to almost be pulled into the curb. If it was the other side, I would've crossed into oncoming traffic.It also broke the cv joint when that happened. That was a bad day.

same thing happened to my friends car. the wheel swisted around and bent her fender and we were sliding on concrete for about 90 feet until we could pull off out of traffic.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Sense-A
Mentor

how do you replace just the boot? Can i just buy clamps that wrap around the boot and tighten it. or is there a method of sealing boots?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Sense-A
how do you replace just the boot? Can i just buy clamps that wrap around the boot and tighten it. or is there a method of sealing boots?
To do it right, you need to:
1) Remove the axle from the car.
2) Cut off the old bands and boot, wipe away excess old grease.
3) Use a large hammer to knock joint off the axle rod.
4) Slide new boot onto the shaft and fill with new grease.
5) Hammer joint back on to shaft.
6) Slide boot into place and use a band tool to install the new bands. Be careful, the bands are SHARP!
7) Reinstall on car, then have a beer and admire your handywork.

(Note: "have a beer" only applies to folks 21 years of age or older. Conduct test drives prior to drinking. Drink responsibly, do not drink and post. :chuckles: )
Old 06-26-2006, 10:40 AM
jdmeg6hatchy
i

change it asap. i had one break on me. its not a fun situation
Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

i replaced them and the car is better but when i take a right hand turn onto an incline the wheels hop... it only started doing this after the new axles were put on and its more directed towards the passenger side.