Notices

head gasket/overheating question

Old 06-11-2006, 03:50 PM
nexgen91
Gearhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket/overheating question

I went to the ring (nurburgring) and I started driving around, so I get about 12km (7.5 miles) down the track (car was not running prior to start) and notice that my car is overheating, so I pulled over and shut her off. I had to drive another 500m (547 yards) to the repair pull off to fix the car. I had a blockage in my radiator hose. I got it fixed though.

Now my question is: could my head gasket be blown? Im not sure how long it was overheated for, but it could not have been that long, or how good honda head gaskets hold up. by the way I have a b16 in my car, dont know if it makes a differenace. there is no white smoke or anything but Im all paranoid about it.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

If u have no symptoms, its doubt ful u did any damage... They are pretty durable... I know my g/f drove all the way from work in the red, pulled up it was steaming like a bitch from the engine... Her water pump blew (the reason she was overheating to begin with)... I changed out the timing belt and pump and it still runs like it used too... I was worried she blew the gasket or worse (warped head)... But im sure youd notice right away if either of those happened...
Old 06-12-2006, 01:03 PM
tuffytwochins

I am having the same prob in my 94 Accord EX. The car has always lost water about 8 oz a day if I drive more than 50 miles or 3 hours. Recently my overheating became worse and I changed the hoses thermostat cap radiator and wired the fans ign. on. I live in Phx at 112 deg. daily. The car seems to run as normal for about 30 min and then within one minute will spike to the red zone. Now the idle is very erradic but the car picks up strongly after 3500 and in V-tec. I suspect that my last overheat helped the timing belt skip a tooth. Soo...... Any helpful advise. The motor is a JDM F22a Ive put about 25,000 hard V-tec every shift (auto) miles since last summer. Tuffy
Old 06-12-2006, 09:59 PM
SirHybrid

check the timing. That probably wouldn't cause overheating issues, but check it if you think you skipped a tooth. I would buy a Mugen thermostat, since it opens at a lower temp, keeping your engine cooler, especially if I lived in phoenix.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:33 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by nexgen91
I went to the ring (nurburgring) and I started driving around, so I get about 12km (7.5 miles) down the track (car was not running prior to start) and notice that my car is overheating, so I pulled over and shut her off. I had to drive another 500m (547 yards) to the repair pull off to fix the car. I had a blockage in my radiator hose. I got it fixed though.

Now my question is: could my head gasket be blown? Im not sure how long it was overheated for, but it could not have been that long, or how good honda head gaskets hold up. by the way I have a b16 in my car, dont know if it makes a differenace. there is no white smoke or anything but Im all paranoid about it.
That sucks man... But I highly doubt you did any damage to the engine. B16a's are very reliable and well built engines, hell, any honda engine can take abuse. If you're that paranoid about it, you can always do a coolant test to check if oil is mixing with coolant.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:30 AM
nexgen91
Gearhead

is there a tool i could use to check that, or do I need to goto a mechanic? never really messed with cooling system before. thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 03:57 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Do a leakdown test on it.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:06 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by nexgen91
is there a tool i could use to check that, or do I need to goto a mechanic? never really messed with cooling system before. thanks
There is a tool. It looks kinda like a turkey baster(if i'm thinking of the right tool ), and can tell you if there's oil mixing with coolant. Try Autozone.