Notices

Seattle: yello '90 CRX Si stolen, tell me if you see it

Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
sounds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seattle: yello '90 CRX Si stolen, tell me if you see it

I'm the original owner of a yellow 1990 Honda CRX Si.
It was just stolen Tuesday night, early Wednesday morning, on Capitol Hill in Seattle.
There was a yard-long horizontal crack in the front windshield.

The police tell me that if it shows up, it will probably be parked in a public place.
I figure it will probably be somewhere that it wouldn't be towed right away.

Tell me if you see it. I'd really like to get it back, as I've had it for 16 years!

Brian
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 AM
sounds

Default Got it back (most of it)

Someone called 911 tonight when they got home from their weekend vacation because they noticed my car, and that it had been totally violated. Apparently, my car was driven less than a mile from where it was stolen, and left for a week. It was in a secluded apartment parking lot, and the tenants there all thought it belonged to "the new guy." Some time this weekend, the crew moved in, took the steering wheel, battery, wheels, speakers, subwoofer, 4-channel amplifier, engine computer, coolant overflow tank, jack, driver's dash, center console, glove box, and tons of other parts.

So, as I said, I now have "most" of it back. And apparently no body damage.

I have no idea how long before it will be drivable again.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

That sucks man... But its not as bad as most ppl who get their car stolen... Shouldnt be too much to get back on the road again... Did u have an alarm or any anti-theft measures?
Old 06-06-2006, 04:59 AM
mistacee
Zc powered ED9

Originally Posted by sounds
the crew moved in, took the steering wheel, battery, wheels, speakers, subwoofer, 4-channel amplifier, engine computer, coolant overflow tank, jack, driver's dash, center console, glove box, and tons of other parts.

So, as I said, I now have "most" of it back. And apparently no body damage.
So sounds like you now own a shell, but at least you got it back without it being wrecked!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
sounds

Originally Posted by Exempt
Did u have an alarm or any anti-theft measures?
Nope. I've had this car for 16 years, and both insurance companies and police officers have consistently recommended against an alarm.

I should have had a club. Now I have LoJack.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 AM
sounds

Originally Posted by mistacee
So sounds like you now own a shell, but at least you got it back without it being wrecked!
No kidding! I can't do body work, so at least everything is something I can handle fixing myself. ... except maybe the wiring harness, that's gotta be a pain. The Honda dealer has estimated over $1,000 for labor and $4,500 for parts, and that doesn't count the $1,500 SSR comp 15"x6 wheels and YOKOHAMA AVS ES-100 195/50R15 tires that I got new in January!
Old 06-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Midori

That sux!
I dont think they wanted to scare you with the real labor estimate....parts are always the cheapest......what kills is the labor...which is usually triple to quadruple the cost of the actual parts. So $1000 labor for $4500 in parts is way too low.
Best bet would be would be to just go out and get a wrecked or non-running donor car for $1000 and transfer everything over yourself.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:08 PM
sounds

Originally Posted by Midori
That sux!
I dont think they wanted to scare you with the real labor estimate....parts are always the cheapest......what kills is the labor...which is usually triple to quadruple the cost of the actual parts. So $1000 labor for $4500 in parts is way too low.
I just visited the dealer, and they missed damage to the wiring harnesses, so that will add a lot of labor. Plus they used an outside tow service to move the car from the customer lot to their service bay, and the tow truck operator trashed my steering column by using a vice-grip to turn the front wheels. The cost has just gone up. At any rate, it's probably around twice totaled.

Best bet would be would be to just go out and get a wrecked or non-running donor car for $1000 and transfer everything over yourself.
My trouble will be finding any car in nearly as good condition as mine. We have some good yards around here, so I may be able to pick and choose, mixing in new parts from Honda as available.

One nice thing is that I met some CRX collectors as a result of this, and just looked at a nice Japanese, right-hand-drive SiR CRX with DOCH VTEC, glass roof, A/C, anti-lock brakes, and lots more. At least it feels good to be around folks who understand why I care about this old car.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:36 AM
turbo crx

walka walka doo yeah mann, thats a pain in the ass, haha, whaaaaaaa
Old 07-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Pete
Civilian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes, isn't the insurance company going to help you out? I mean, assuming you had comprehensive coverage.