Notices

Front brakes progessively locking up during slow stop and go traffic..HELP!!!!

Old 09-19-2002, 12:48 PM
slipspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brakes progessively locking up during slow stop and go traffic..HELP!!!!

Any guys out there that have a good background w/ brakes, please help me out. My daily driver is a 88 CRX Si. A month and a half ago I was driving cross country from San Francisco to Pensacola and my brake booster went out on me when I hit San Antonio.

I took it to a place called Brake Check and proceeded to get bent over and focibly fornicated upon for almost $600!! They replaced my booster and changed my rear pads and springs.

Long story short. They overtightened my hand brake after I pointed out they forgot to hook it back up.

After I had that repaired it uncovered the true symptom. My front brakes are progressively locking up during stop and go driving.

I have to pass through a security checkpoint every morning and the line at the gate is very long. After about 30 minutes of stop and go my front brakes are completely locked up.

As I am shuffling toward the gate in line I can progessively feel the brake pedal get stiffer and stiffer. The car is getting harder to move and nothing I do puts the pedal back to normal.

I've shut off the car for a couple seconds and turned it back on, I've pumped the brakes hard to no avail and I've tried constant pressure to see if it sinks...nothing.

Always in the morning after the car has been sitting overnight, the brakes feel a little spongy but otherwise normal. The 10 minute drive to work is not a problem...until I hit the long line for the security gate.

I've flipped the calipers and inspected the brakes. They look roasted but otherwise fine. The right rear drum squeaks like it need to be resurfaced and the rotors up front are surely warped as well.

The kicker is that I took it to a Firestone service station this morning, explained the whole story to them and warned them that I had better hear that something is wrong with this car. For some reason, this morning I couldn't duplicate the problem as badly. By the time the techs got to the car, it had dissapated to where they couldn't find anything wrong.

This has me noticeably pissed and I'm convinced it's related to a problem with the booster.

Can anyone help me out? I've just sold my eclipse and the CRX is my only car right now.

Please let me know if you need more info on the symptoms.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:22 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the brake booster is malfunctioning or was improperly installed by the place in San Antonio (they already forgot to hook up your parking brake and then didn't adjust it properly [that's really easy])...take it to a honda dealer and have them properly find out what the problem is...i trust few mechanics with my car and always get a referral...unless its a honda dealer where i feel that i can trust them first hand