Notices

bad wheel bearing?

Old 03-28-2006, 05:59 PM
xpman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad wheel bearing?

Disassembly of the right hand rear suspension went smooth. I was even pleasantly surprised to find that the trailing arm already had an Energy Suspension bushing in it. Everything came apart in less than 1/2 hour.

The left hand side was a different story. While breaking the bolts loose for the LCA I noticed that the trailing arm had lots of play. This side doesn't have an ES bushing - just a badly worn OEM. Ok, so I'll have to change out the bushing on this side. Next, when I yanked the drum off, the inner part of the bearing stayed on the shaft. I think the bearing may be toast. The inside area of the brake assembly was just caked with what I believe is grease. Can I just replace the bearing or is it part of a complete "hub assy."?

I think the breakdown went like this: Badly worn bushing + shitty shocks/adj. coilovers...= stress on wheel bearing...= bad bearings.

Sound correct??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LH brake.jpg (182.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg
LH hub.jpg (163.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-29-2006, 11:37 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Typically, if u can replace the hub and the bearing, that is the best way to go. In your case, autozone sells the hub and bearing assembly for $90(u may b able to find it cheaper), but they don't sell the bearing by itself.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:10 AM
xpman

Actually found a Timken hub on eBay for $76 inc. shipping. I guess the days of the $10 wheel bearing are long gone!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:13 AM
mr.crx

Originally Posted by xpman
Actually found a Timken hub on eBay for $76 inc. shipping. I guess the days of the $10 wheel bearing are long gone!
when were they ten dollars?
Old 03-30-2006, 05:50 PM
xpman

Did my '99 Dodge Ram about 5 years ago. I was able to buy just the bearings without having to buy the whole hub. I just checked, inner & outer bearings are about $8 each online.