Notices

85 CRX Worthwhile Mods?

Old 03-26-2006, 12:15 AM
RiceRocketRider
Rick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 CRX Worthwhile Mods?

Hey all, I'm new here I just got myself a 1985 CRX DX, 3 barrell carb with the 12 valve SOHC. It's got 100,040 miles, and so far I love it. It handles like a go-kart and has some pep, no rot to be found (unheard of in MA). Runs great so far. I'm going to paint it lime green, and I was wondering what modifications would be worthwhile? I am not looking to swap the motor or anything like that, I've researched enough to know if I want to do that I should just get a SI...My friend is kind of a Honda Freak, but he seems very unrealistic in his expectations, he talks about swapping the motor and putting in stage 3 clutch and blah blah bullshit....(Keep in mind, his cars been sitting in MY yard for over a year not starting)...On the other hand, I would like to try and get the most I can out of it. So my question(s) are:

-I've read you can cut the shifter down to make it more like a Miata, is there any downside to this I haven't heard about?
-Would simply putting a bigger carb on the motor increase my power or just blow it up or make it run like shit?
-Is anything other than a stock clutch worth it?
-Is buying/installing any thing in the Suspesnsion? I was thinking of replacing the shocks (one is already bad) with Monroe High Performance shocks, and maybe a Nylon bushing kit.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated thanks and stay safe everyone.

I've already done the exhaust, it's 2 1/2" straight back from the CVCC to the muffler and a K&N air filter...
Old 03-26-2006, 02:50 AM
xpman

Originally Posted by RiceRocketRider
-Is buying/installing any thing in the Suspesnsion? I was thinking of replacing the shocks (one is already bad) with Monroe High Performance shocks, and maybe a Nylon bushing kit.
Here's my 2 cents worth: I started replacing a blown shock and upon further inspection, found that lots of my buhings were trashed. Probably original (15 years old) and needed to be replaced. Replacing worn out bushings will prevent problems with other more expensive things down the line...tires, ball joints, tie rod ends, alignments, etc...

As for OEM bushings vs. the polyurethene type, that's up to you. I chose Energy Suspension bushings more out of convenience because I bought the whole master bushing kit.

If you're a hands-on-guy, you can replace the stock shocks with some nice performance ones and it will still be much cheaper than having a local garage do it.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:54 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

if you get pu bushings get the graphite (self lubricating) ones as they don't require greasing as the red ones do (still squeak sometimes)

you can convert over to MPFI as in the Si version...it'll be similar to having the engine of an Si then

Last edited by jaje; 03-26-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by RiceRocketRider
-I've read you can cut the shifter down to make it more like a Miata, is there any downside to this I haven't heard about?
It will be harder to shift, but that's about it.
-Would simply putting a bigger carb on the motor increase my power or just blow it up or make it run like shit?
Simply installing a bigger carb would make it run poorly. You also would need to swap to an Si head to get rid of the CVCC.
-Is anything other than a stock clutch worth it?
Not with the car in stock form..
I've already done the exhaust, it's 2 1/2" straight back from the CVCC to the muffler and a K&N air filter...
Uhh... CVCC (Compound Vortex Combustion Chamber) is a lean burn system built into the cylinder head. I think you're confusing it with the catalytic converter. That exhaust pipe is too large for that engine, too.
Originally Posted by jaje
you can convert over to MPFI as in the Si version...it'll be similar to having the engine of an Si then
That would be a pain after the head swap, fuel lines, gas tank, wiring, etc.