Notices

Replacing rear trailing arm bushings

Old 03-29-2006, 02:26 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will also throw the toe out, which will kill tires faster than camber. IMO i would replace them with the ES bushings.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:32 AM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by HatchVX
it will also throw the toe out, which will kill tires faster than camber. IMO i would replace them with the ES bushings.
You mean these...

Energy Suspension

Prothane

You can get'em in red or black

Mine probably need replacing, too. Has anyone replaced theirs with either of these and are happy with them? Which one would be better than the other? Or are OEM bushings superior to these?

Last edited by PacificDude; 04-06-2006 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Yea, ES = Energy Suspension... And they come in red or black... Most usually get the red cuz they "look cool" tho... But the black ones are actually better because they have some sort of self lubrication in the bushings...

I probably need to replace mine soon as well...

Kai, do u guys use the same method for lower ball joints? I recently replaced mine, and a friend and I just beat them out, and the new ones back in... Just hoping we didnt mess anything up like that...

Last edited by Exempt; 04-06-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:22 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by Exempt
Yea, ES = Energy Suspension... And they come in red or black... Most usually get the red cuz they "look cool" tho... But the black ones are actually better because they have some sort of self lubrication in the bushings...

I probably need to replace mine soon as well...
The ES ones look easier to install. I could care less about the 'cool looking' red ones. I'd get the black ones because I don't plan on having red on my car when I'm done with it. As far as self-lubricating bushings, it may be graphite? I couldn't find that info from the company...so it may just be color selections. I'm gonna get'em. I know my passenger's side is bad so it's time to fix it.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Kai, do u guys use the same method for lower ball joints?
I haven't come across the need to do so yet. Most people that come into dealerships with bad balljoints buy nothing other then an oil change, no matter how screwed up their car is.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Kai, do u guys use the same method for lower ball joints? I recently replaced mine, and a friend and I just beat them out, and the new ones back in... Just hoping we didnt mess anything up like that...
I recently replaced my passenger side lower ball joint and I just hammered the old one out and the new one back in with the knuckle still attached to the car. Seems to work fine.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by PacificDude
The ES ones look easier to install. I could care less about the 'cool looking' red ones. I'd get the black ones because I don't plan on having red on my car when I'm done with it. As far as self-lubricating bushings, it may be graphite? I couldn't find that info from the company...so it may just be color selections. I'm gonna get'em. I know my passenger's side is bad so it's time to fix it.
The black bushings are impregnated with graphite. The red ones look like dook when they get dirty anyway. At least the black ones look somewhat stock.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:26 PM
ChrisS

Kai,
What's the difference between these two rear trailing arm bushings?
52385-sr3-000 ($39.03), I know this one will fit my '91 CRX Si, it's outer diameter is 3.170" exactly the same as what's installed now.
52385-s21-003 ($25.01)

I tried the hammer method of removing the rear trailing arm bushing. It didn't move at all (I guess, you need a real BFH). So, I pulled both rear trailing arms and will have the new bushings pressed in at an auto machine shop on Monday.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:31 PM
ChrisS

I finally got the new bushings pressed in, put the car back together, and aligned. A bunch of work. But, the car no longer has the twitchiness at highway speed and the backend always feels planted.

On to the next fix (replace the slightly leaky master cylinder; brakes fade slowly while stopped at a light).
Old 04-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by Chris
On to the next fix (replace the slightly leaky master cylinder; brakes fade slowly while stopped at a light).

Yea, uh you might wanna get that fixed ASAP...