Just Did B16a Swap

Old 03-25-2006, 06:52 AM
madman4you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok ok i retrack my previous statement
Old 03-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Tankard

So i take it that you're disappointed with the b16a in your 91 crx si? I was considering it, simply because i thought it would be alot faster than my sohc zc in my 91 crx si. I just got 41 mpg with it though, after i put an ACT streetlight flywheel on it, even with a heavy stereo in it. With the high gas prices, and reading posts' like this one, i guess i should be happy with what i've got.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:12 PM
gingas

Stock B16A' s vtec should kick in at 4.5K. Thats what mine use to. I have a spoon chipped ecu now & mine kick in at 4.8 I can redline to 9K but dont go that far because bottom end cant handle it. you ight want motor checked out.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:51 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by Tankard
So i take it that you're disappointed with the b16a in your 91 crx si? I was considering it, simply because i thought it would be alot faster than my sohc zc in my 91 crx si. I just got 41 mpg with it though, after i put an ACT streetlight flywheel on it, even with a heavy stereo in it. With the high gas prices, and reading posts' like this one, i guess i should be happy with what i've got.
I don't think u'd be disappointed with it. Bottom end is not there, yes... but once vtec engages, the car pulls like crazy until redline. I'm definitely not disappointed with my swap. The engine was made for high revving, and it is definitely fun to take it up that far. However, fuel economy will suffer a bit. I get about 25-30mpg (city and highway), which is a far cry from 40.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:21 AM
judgeDredd

i dont know any body who can get mid 14"s with a b16 in a crx and with the head work u have you could probly get low 14"s or even high 13"s the crx dont way much so torque isnt a big issue it help but not that much on a car that light unless you are alredy running 14"s and dont think thats fast.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
jstkknt

Originally Posted by RevengeCRX
I don't think u'd be disappointed with it. Bottom end is not there, yes... but once vtec engages, the car pulls like crazy until redline. I'm definitely not disappointed with my swap. The engine was made for high revving, and it is definitely fun to take it up that far. However, fuel economy will suffer a bit. I get about 25-30mpg (city and highway), which is a far cry from 40.

I guess I am happy with the top end. The car does pull at higher RPM's. What dissapoints me is that I have Honda Hatchbacks running the same motor beating me in light to light races. They do not have all of the mods that I have (cam, cam gears, Act clutch) so I am not understanding what is going on with the motor. I have talked to the shop that did the work and they insist that once th chipped ECU is in, everything will be much better, but I am a skeptic. Iguess I am really looking for that off-the-line torque adn can't seem to find it without a forced induction setup.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:14 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by jstkknt
I guess I am happy with the top end. The car does pull at higher RPM's. What dissapoints me is that I have Honda Hatchbacks running the same motor beating me in light to light races. They do not have all of the mods that I have (cam, cam gears, Act clutch) so I am not understanding what is going on with the motor. I have talked to the shop that did the work and they insist that once th chipped ECU is in, everything will be much better, but I am a skeptic. Iguess I am really looking for that off-the-line torque adn can't seem to find it without a forced induction setup.
Dollar for dollar, f/i is the way to go... However, your setup should be netting u some solid h/p figures. I would say alot of it has to do with tuning. A worked head requires good tuning to put the h/p down to the pavement efficiently. Like I said, I've beaten alot of cars(including civic hatchbacks), so there must be something wrong with your engine's tuning.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:51 PM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by jstkknt
Are you just getting some random chip or are you getting it dyno tuned?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by gingas
Stock B16A' s vtec should kick in at 4.5K. Thats what mine use to. I have a spoon chipped ecu now & mine kick in at 4.8 I can redline to 9K but dont go that far because bottom end cant handle it. you ight want motor checked out.
it has nothing to do with the bottom end...you would get valve float, and who the fuck cares if you can rev to 9k when you dont have the cams to make anymore power after 8k...a higher redline doesnt do shit if you dont have any power up there. There is more mis-informed nonsense bullshit in this thread than I have seen in a while. I wish I was the mod of this forum I would delete all the retarded posts so that the original poster could get an actual answer.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:34 AM
jstkknt

The shop where the motor was done has a guy that did the chipped ECU for me. It is now and it seems to help a bit. The only real problems that I am seeing now is that Vtec does not kick in now untill 5900 rpm. It will redline at 9000, but that does not really help me since the power band is between 7200-8300. I still don't have the light to light speed that I want, but I do have the mpg again and the car seems to handle better. Next to go into the car will be skunk2 throttle body, aem fuel rail and Skunk2 fuel regulator. Shop is saying this should give me an extra 20-30 hp. Anyone know id f this is right, or if the shop is just trying to stroke me for more money?