Notices

Just Did B16a Swap

Old 03-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Civic2Scooby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

skunk2 Stage1 cams dont use stock crossover points....get an SAFC or VAFC and take it to the dyno to tune your cam gears and get the ideal crossover point.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:50 PM
jstkknt

Civic2Scooby, do you think that the Mugen chip I am buying will work while I wait for the time to get the Hondata S200 ECU and have it dyno'd? I know that the skunk2 cam gears are adjustable, I just have to find time to get it to the shop in L.A.

By the way, thanx for the help everyone. I really appreciate everyone's insight.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by ED9man
Uhh, it's a totally different engine than a Z6.
An extra cam and higher compression. The point being, if it didn't have the extra cam, it would be slightly more powerful than a Z6 because of the compression. It has no balls.

Originally Posted by jstkknt
Civic2Scooby, do you think that the Mugen chip I am buying will work while I wait for the time to get the Hondata S200 ECU and have it dyno'd? I know that the skunk2 cam gears are adjustable, I just have to find time to get it to the shop in L.A.

By the way, thanx for the help everyone. I really appreciate everyone's insight.
If you got this "mugen chip" off ebay it won't do squat.

Originally Posted by RevengeCRX
Wierd, vtec engages at 5k rpms on my b16a... I've beaten plenty of cars besides crxs. CRXs are light and don't need much power to get them fast, so I would say there's either something wrong with your engine, or something wrong with the driver, but since u say driver is not the issue, then fix your vtec crossover point. That extra 800 rpms doesn't seem like much, but it is...
Mine kicks in at 5800.

Last edited by Omniscient; 03-21-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Omniscient
An extra cam and higher compression. The point being, if it didn't have the extra cam, it would be slightly more powerful than a Z6 because of the compression. It has no balls.
its not just an extra cam and some compression...the PR3 head flows a bajillionty times better than that Z6 head.

"Mugen Chips" are worthless, and potentially harmful...I would not run any chip in my ecu. Either run the stock p30 ecu until you can get the hondata or get a VAFC/Hondaata/whatever now and get it tuned. There is no use having a nice set of cams etc if you are gonna half ass it on the tuning/engine management.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
its not just an extra cam and some compression...the PR3 head flows a bajillionty times better than that Z6 head.
If it didn't have the extra cam what head would it have then? All this petty arguing aside, the B16 won't have any low end balls without a lot of money invested in N/A or without F/I.

Last edited by Omniscient; 03-22-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:10 PM
jstkknt

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby

"Mugen Chips" are worthless, and potentially harmful...I would not run any chip in my ecu. Either run the stock p30 ecu until you can get the hondata or get a VAFC/Hondaata/whatever now and get it tuned. There is no use having a nice set of cams etc if you are gonna half ass it on the tuning/engine management.
How are the potentially harmfull? what is it that they do that makes it harmeful. The shop that put the motor in says that this is the way to go for right now. They have been right about everything else that they have done. How are they wrong about this?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

How are the potentially harmfull? what is it that they do that makes it harmeful. The shop that put the motor in says that this is the way to go for right now. They have been right about everything else that they have done. How are they wrong about this?
They are very wrong. Those chips have maps of highly modified cars burned onto them. It doesn't come close to your setup's needs, so you will just be losing power and suffering poor fuel economy as a result. Get a VAFC, that is all you need at this point. Hondata is insanely overkill for your setup.

And 5800 rpm is normal vtec engagement for a B16.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Spike_916

Get a B18C1 lol
Old 03-24-2006, 01:12 PM
madman4you

I am running OBD1 ECU that came with the motor. I have ordered a Mugen chipped ECU that is supposed to help with the Vtec Issue. Also, Is this a good motor setup? Racing, I cannot seem to beat anything except a stock CRX. Driving is not the issue, so what can I do to the motor that I haven't already?

im thinkin its the driver, if the Vtech is not the issue, proly short shifting like a motha.... dont worry i got beat alot when i first installed my b16 but once i found out that i could puch it alot more i started to notice the rookie driving.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:25 PM
jstkknt

Originally Posted by madman4you
im thinkin its the driver, if the Vtech is not the issue, proly short shifting like a motha.... dont worry i got beat alot when i first installed my b16 but once i found out that i could puch it alot more i started to notice the rookie driving.

I was a shifter Kart driver for 3 years racing at 180 mph just 2 inches from the ground on the perris speedway and other places. Driving is not the issue at all. I can shift just fine and know to let the motor rev out at 8000 plus rpm's.