Notices

b16a1 or d16 z6??

Old 03-15-2006, 04:34 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crzy000
but would it be the right thing to change the bearing while you already doing the piston ring or the oil ring if that was the real problem RedlineboysCrx?
The only reason I say change the bearing is that, once you already have the piston out, if you don't change the rod bearing you have to be stupid. Second my moto is, if you can cahnge it DO, meaning if you can change you rear main seal when doing a clutch, why not. Less to go wrong later. Yes, once you have everything out already, it is very easy to put new rod bearings in. if you have the engine completly out, it is even easier to change the Main Bearings. Just take off the oil pan, and take offf the mains and pull the crankshaft out. you could probably get the crank micropolished and balanced (balanced is not necessary) while it is out, and just change the main bearings.
If you are failing a leakdown test, it is probably because the rings are broken and cannot hold the compression. And tell the guy that wnats to trade you that you will trade him only if he lets you fix the leakdown problem, then once the leakdown is fixed, you will swap him. The first question you need to ask youself is do I know how to do this, am I capable. The first time I did this on my car I was a little worried, But I got through it ok. Also where do you live?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by RedlineBoyzCRX
I don't know about you guys, but you guys act like getting some new bearings for the engine and rehoning the cylinders and getting some new pistons or piston rings is a tough thing, this can all be done in a 1 day period and back on the road by that night, it does nto take long to pulla tranny yank a motor and put in new pistons and rinds and rehone the walls. I have done it ALL before and put a complete new valvetrain on in one day, I had a little help from a friend, nothing with the mechanis, just getting the motor out and in. Everyone here thinks taht when you blow a motor or sumthing it means get a whole new motor, you go back and fix what the problem is. NOW, with that said, if there is a hole in the block or something, that would be a diff story, but if not, it is really easy to change psitons and rings and rehone the cylinders. It can be done in a weekend. I do all this kind of stuff in my garage, and I have just basic tools. I DO have a small compressor and a few air tools, but nothing big. Hopefully I will be getting my 60 Gallon Compressor tommorrow.

Thats my 2 cents.
But why do all that? Look at the difference between his running engine, which is decently moded vs a stock KNOWN BAD B16... The difference is not much at all (less than 30 crank HP and 5 ft lbs of torque)... And too me its not worth it to do an even trade AND spend the time and money to rebuild it... Its not that a rebuild mechanically is a huge deal (well it is if youve never done it before)... But financially it is... Specially when you compare it too what you are trading for...

Now if it was a B18C or something I can maybe see justifying it... In that case we are talking atleast a 40 HP and 22 ft lbs of torque increase... You are gaining alot more than just one cam and a few HP...

Last edited by Exempt; 03-15-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:33 AM
crzy000

The only reason I say change the bearing is that, once you already have the piston out, if you don't change the rod bearing you have to be stupid. Second my moto is, if you can cahnge it DO, meaning if you can change you rear main seal when doing a clutch, why not. Less to go wrong later. Yes, once you have everything out already, it is very easy to put new rod bearings in. if you have the engine completly out, it is even easier to change the Main Bearings. Just take off the oil pan, and take offf the mains and pull the crankshaft out. you could probably get the crank micropolished and balanced (balanced is not necessary) while it is out, and just change the main bearings.
If you are failing a leakdown test, it is probably because the rings are broken and cannot hold the compression. And tell the guy that wnats to trade you that you will trade him only if he lets you fix the leakdown problem, then once the leakdown is fixed, you will swap him. The first question you need to ask youself is do I know how to do this, am I capable. The first time I did this on my car I was a little worried, But I got through it ok. Also where do you live?
I live in hawaii..changing bearing and piston rings or oil rings is not a big thing to me. However, working on honda is completely new to me. This d16z6 was my first overhaul engine I have ever work on honda. I mainly work on my porsche 914-6 which I have converted into a monster v8.here is a glance of my car.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket

So the only different between the motor that I build is only about 30 hp less then the b16a6. and if I were to turbo my motor what percented of power will I gain ?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:35 AM
crzy000

I live in hawaii..changing bearing and piston rings or oil rings is not a big thing to me. However, working on honda is completely new to me. This d16z6 was my first overhaul engine I have ever work on honda. I mainly work on my porsche 914-6 which I have converted into a monster v8.here is a glance of my car.

So the only different between the motor that I build is only about 30 hp less then the b16a6. and if I were to turbo my motor what percented of power will I gain ?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:36 AM
crzy000

double post sorry
Old 03-15-2006, 12:01 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

It sin't that the HP difference, but you can only go so far with a D series. You can go WAY farther with a B series.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

With a B16 of all the B series, since its the smallest, u can only go so far... And its not much furthur than you can take the D16Z6... The only real difference (in the power making aspect of these 2 engines) is the extra cam and a higher compression...

But the absolute bottom line is, a perfectly running engine, is not worth trading for one that is known to have problems... Specially since he already has so much into his current engine...
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 PM
crzy000

oic....thank's guys...one more question..my neighbor has a 87 integra would I be able to use the motor from that car? It only got 55 thousand miles on it. runs good and the son is selling it because her grandma that own the car has and eye problem. so she wont be driving it anymore. it's going for $500.00 any info with this would be greatful. thank's
Old 03-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Nah, it wont easily swap without modifications... And they only have about 118HP IRC...
Old 03-15-2006, 01:06 PM
crzy000

thank you Exempt. been a great help including the rest of the guys that put there sense together for me.