Notices

are CRX and Integra steering gears interchangeable?

Old 03-11-2006, 01:21 AM
xpman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are CRX and Integra steering gears interchangeable?

I ordered a replacement steering gear bellows (rubber boot) for my '91 CRX and found that it doesn't fit. The length is ok but the hole sizes at both ends are wrong. They're much too small for my rack. I'm not sure if the part is incorrect or if my rack is out of a different car.

I'm doing a few suspension mods and I'm slowly sorting out which is CRX and which is Teg. So far:
b16a - Teg
axles - Teg
knuckle - Teg
tie rod ends - CRX
damper fork - CRX
lower control arm - CRX
upper control arm - ?? (Energy Suspension bushing for CRX didn't fit)

My question is - can it be possible that my steering gear is from an Integra or are they not even interchangeable with a CRX's? The torn bellows that I took off had about a 1.4" hole on the inner side and a .5" hole at the tie rod end.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:00 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

That's odd... I didn't think steering racks were interchangeable. If your tie rod ends are from a CRX, then so should the inner tie rod and boots be. Are u sure u got the right part?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:01 AM
xpman

I got what I ordered, but they are aftermarket so I'm not so sure they're a good fitup. I'll try OEM and see what I can come up with. As long as I know that I don't have a Teg rack I should be OK.

Also, the tie rod end of the boot is actually threaded. Is this normal? The one I took off was in pretty bad shape so I can't tell if it was threaded or not.