Notices

What will it matter if I remove the Charcoal Canister?

Old 03-07-2006, 09:09 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will it matter if I remove the Charcoal Canister?

Well , ia mone for removing things off my car, that aren't doing anything for me. I don't like a really confusing setup, NICE CLEAN SAND SIMPLE is my moto. With that said, I was wondering what the charcoal canister did? Also, Would it matter if I removed it and put in a Golden Eagle Vacuum manifold. There is a tube coming out of the bottom of the charcoal canister that leads to nothing, it is just hanging there. If anyone knows, just Let me know. Thanx
Old 03-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

It is just for emissions. You can disconnect it and loop the vacuum hoses.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:28 AM
EH339

My bf sold a charcoal cannister to someone who had removed theirs entirely and thrown it out. That guy needed it in order to pass emissions in California. It was probably more for the visual check.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:21 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
It is just for emissions. You can disconnect it and loop the vacuum hoses.
Sweet Deal, 1 less thing on my car. I don't have emmissions stuff in Florida, So that is what I will do. What is the actual point of the Charcoal canister, will my gas mileage go down?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Tankard

If you want to get worse fuel economy, by all means, take it off. I just read where 22 gallons of gas evaporates from an open tank in one year. The canister recirculates the fumes back to the intake. If you remvove it, i'm guessing the fumes are vented to the air. It's there for a reason, and if you're removing it for weight reuduction, simply go take a dump before driving, which would probably be the same weight as the canister. My point being, it's there for a reason.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:10 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Ia m not taking it off for that reason, jsut the reason that, if i dont need it IE if it is for smog, y have it.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Tankard
If you want to get worse fuel economy, by all means, take it off. I just read where 22 gallons of gas evaporates from an open tank in one year. The canister recirculates the fumes back to the intake. If you remvove it, i'm guessing the fumes are vented to the air. It's there for a reason, and if you're removing it for weight reuduction, simply go take a dump before driving, which would probably be the same weight as the canister. My point being, it's there for a reason.
It won't do anything to your fuel economy. The fuel vapor is sent to the manifold to be burned. Whether the vapor goes into the air or is burnt by the engine, it won't make a difference to fuel economy.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Tankard

It won't do anything to your fuel economy. The fuel vapor is sent to the manifold to be burned. Whether the vapor goes into the air or is burnt by the engine, it won't make a difference to fuel economy.

I'm not arguing or anything, but why did my car only get 25 miles to the gallon instead of 31 or 32 when i accidentally left the bottom hose unplugged from it.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Tankard
I'm not arguing or anything, but why did my car only get 25 miles to the gallon instead of 31 or 32 when i accidentally left the bottom hose unplugged from it.
No need for an argument over this. You probably introduced a vacuum leak.

I have been consistently getting 21-22 mpg at 10 psi daily driven regardless of whether the EVAP system was connected and functional or not.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:11 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

No need for an argument over this. You probably introduced a vacuum leak.

I have been consistently getting 21-22 mpg at 10 psi daily driven regardless of whether the EVAP system was connected and functional or not.

Alright, well I will go to the store and get some connectors and some vaccum line and bypass the charcoal canister and take it out. No Emissions in Fl, and 93 Octane!