Notices

upgrading to ITR brakes, HELP NEEDED!!

Old 03-07-2006, 04:26 AM
hotboxcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading to ITR brakes, HELP NEEDED!!

hey guys, bought the front pair of ITR calipers with pads and 282mm rotors drilled 4x100. what other parts do i need for the conversion? do i need to change knuckles?

i have an 89 Si Civic (EF3) JDM and have 96ITR suspension with 15" rims.

also what master cyclinders would i be able to use without changing the brake booster? do i need to change the brake lines aswell?

thanks in advanced.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:43 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

You have stock knuckles? There was a thread on honda tech that used those calipers on the si knuckles because the bolts were the same. you had to have a little machined off of the caliper though to get the right backspacing.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:17 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by daveb91
You have stock knuckles? There was a thread on honda tech that used those calipers on the si knuckles because the bolts were the same. you had to have a little machined off of the caliper though to get the right backspacing.
He could definitely do that, but I would think it's safer to change out the knuckle. To each his own.
For the knuckles, u could use 94+integra knuckles, or 90-91 civic ex sedan knuckles(which are super hard to find). I used 99 civic si knuckles(with 10.2" rotors and integra ls calipers), but they give me a little bit of positive camber. Which is okay if you're car is lowered more than 2". The integra knuckles may have some clearance issues though, so the civic ex knuckles are gonna be best.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:09 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

Why couldnt he use DA knuckles?
Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 AM
hotboxcivic

yea i'm using stock knuckles, i did hear that i need to shave a bit of the caliper off, i was thinking of using an angle grinder to do the job.. anyone suggest not too?

i could use DA knuckles, but if i can fit with my Si ones why not just use it.
revenge you mentioned that it'll be safer, is there a prob with using my stock knuckles in regards to safety?

thats for the reply guys, much apprecaited.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:26 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by daveb91
Why couldnt he use DA knuckles?
Integra knuckles geometry will stretch out the suspension, which can cause the upper control arm to hit the underside of the fenderwell. That's what I read on another thread here. Just type in big brake upgrade.

could use DA knuckles, but if i can fit with my Si ones why not just use it.
revenge you mentioned that it'll be safer, is there a prob with using my stock knuckles in regards to safety?
I would never reccomend "shaving" your knuckles to make bigger calipers fit. There's a reason why they are that thick. Shaving them down could compromise the integrity of the mounting tabs, but that's just my opinion. U could do it, but don't say I didn't warn u. Just be careful not too shave off too much... And therein lies the problem, nobody knows how much is too much until your driving one day and your calipers fall of your knuckles.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:28 AM
hotboxcivic

Originally Posted by RevengeCRX
I would never reccomend "shaving" your knuckles to make bigger calipers fit. There's a reason why they are that thick. Shaving them down could compromise the integrity of the mounting tabs, but that's just my opinion. U could do it, but don't say I didn't warn u. Just be careful not too shave off too much... And therein lies the problem, nobody knows how much is too much until your driving one day and your calipers fall of your knuckles.
that is scary.. i'm still deciding whether to grind back the knuckle.. it is only a matter of 1mm..
Old 03-12-2006, 06:35 AM
hotboxcivic

sorry guys i didn't mention this earlier but in located in Australia.. so your descriptions of what knuckles i could use is of no hlep to me.. i'm seriously considering grinding back either the knuckle or caliper.. i don't know which..

would it be possible to put spacers between the knuckle and hub to create that extra gap i need?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:03 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

you dont shave the knuckle you take a couple mm off the caliper.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:04 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

Dont use a grinder take it to a machine shop.