Notices

b20 or b16

Old 03-08-2006, 03:23 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sherwood
thats an LS/vtec

it can take it but the rod bolts werent designed for high revs so they may, or rather, will, eventually give out.

search.
I've heard that lsvtec engines give out after 2 years of use . Regardless, I just can't justify doing a frankenstein swap. Stick to the tried and true, and you'll have the best results, it's my motto on engines.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:28 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by Driverman5777
If I got ARP rod bolts, balanced crank, and higher compression pistons would the B16 B a good bet? What are the differences between that and the B18c1
Not much, about 20hp and 10lbs torque(jdm engine, about half that on the usdm ones), and of course, about .2 liters of displacement, ohhhh and $1500-$2000 more! For the difference, just get a b16a, slap a turbo on there(build it to make it last), and you'll run circles around any b18c1 or even c5s.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:02 AM
Driverman5777

thanks^
Old 03-08-2006, 06:34 AM
Mynard
Eye warship say ten!

Frankenstein it then slap a supercharger on it....if price isnt an issue. I would go B20 with internals. All motor in the rex for the win.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:25 AM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by RevengeCRX
I've heard that lsvtec engines give out after 2 years of use . Regardless, I just can't justify doing a frankenstein swap. Stick to the tried and true, and you'll have the best results, it's my motto on engines.
Uh, no. It wasn't built, maintained or tuned properly.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:29 AM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
You aren't on H-T much are you? I see a cracked B20 sleeve thread pretty regularly on there. Some have minor bolt ons, CRVTEC, and boosted setups. It all just depends on how much luck you have. It is pretty much the same as revving a stock LS-vtec to 8k+. Some people do it all the time with no problems and others spin bearings and throw rods after a very short while.

I am not going to keep arguing this point. But to stay on subject with the thread, a turbo D will distroy both of those swaps in stock form, end of story.
It's nothing to do with luck. Just because most of Honda-Tech has fat wallets doesn't mean the engine is built or tuned correctly. I have never, ever seen a properly tuned and built LS/VTEC or CRVTEC throw a rod, spin a bearing or anything of the like.

Moderate boost on stock sleeves using the right turbo and tuned properly with a CRVTEC setup is fine too.

Any engine is prone to being a turd if not built or tuned correctly. I don't mean to preach to the choir here because you have hands on experience with the best of us, but I just won't believe the B20 garbage hype until I see it in person, regardless of tales of failure, articles written or anything of the like.

You need to know the engines limitations from the getgo, arrogance kills these setups.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:35 PM
judgeDredd

how much boost can the cyclinder walls on a b16 handle not sleeved
Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by judgeDredd
how much boost can the cyclinder walls on a b16 handle not sleeved
Depends on the size of the turbo.

More accurately, you should be looking at how much hp a motor can take instead of psi. The B16 could handle 400 whp+ with stock sleeves assuming you have a great tune.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tuned well? early teens is probably where you'll start hitting major problems
:Edit:
thought you mean stock everything... yeah the sleves will take a shit load more
Old 03-09-2006, 11:39 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by AF
Uh, no. It wasn't built, maintained or tuned properly.
What about all the extra oil that the vtec head requires? I'm curious to know how many ppl u have seen or heard that have done the swap, and how long has it last? I was interested in doing this a while back, but got discouraged when someone told be about there reliability. I would think to make an LSVTEC reliable, it would cost too much, especially since I don't know much on the internal engine.