Notices

decsions decsions

Old 02-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Mrspotlight202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decsions decsions

already have done a engine swap on my 91 crx and have the sohc zc engine in it it was affordable and quick exactly what i was looking for at the moment but now the time has come to go big or go home i have somebody who is willing to sell me the 1st gen ls block and head but he isn't sure if it runs and it will need work i am getting it dirt cheap really dirt cheap but still not sure i also know of a place 30 min from my house that sells jap spec engines where i got my sohc zc we have good business between each other i was looking at the b20a the engine that is in the crv's lots of torque and i couls get that at a reasonable price im split with this decision and i just wanna get some other crx pro's on the idea see what u all have to say so help me out im not worried about wiring everything is easy after the first swap from dx to sohc zc just pulled between these two motors reply about them or maybe something even better just wanna add some nuts to my bitch
Old 02-28-2006, 02:14 PM
mr.crx

well, i have had the b20b, your going to want to pass on the b20a. i would just get a b16 to be honest with you. there really isnt that much of an upgrade to an ls motor or a b20. so if your really looking to add some balls to your car go with a b16 or gsr
Old 03-02-2006, 04:01 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

GSR would be an awesome swap, but it's quite a bit more than a b16a. I have a b16a in my CRX, and it flies. Not everyone likes them because they're "torqueless", but with it's high revving capability, it more than makes up for it's shortcomings. I would definitely skip the b20 engines, but it would be a tough call between the b18 and b16.
To make it easy, b18a would be easiest(since it's preOBD), but has 10hp less than b18bs. That gives u a whopping 130, but 120lbs of torque. It does have much lower compression and is a bigger displacement engine compared to a b16a, so it probably would be a better platform for turbo. Or, u could do an OBD conversion(which would be better since u can't tune pre-OBD cars' ecus(hondata)), and use a b18b instead.
I went b16a cuz that's the cheapest "complete changeover" that hmotorsonline offered, and I needed it now. To b honest, I wanted a b18a to begin with, but I'm not disappointed in my choice.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:42 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Obviously GSR is better than B16a for the torque factor, but a correctly running B16a will womp cars all day long, when you are shifting at 8500-9000 and the other guy has to shift at 7000 you are making it higher than they are and still making power. I have a B16a in my car. But to be honest. I don't knwo, because I don't think my B16a has every really run right, until now, I tore into it 2 months ago and am redoing everything, ie wiring, psitons, valves, valves guides, retainers, port and polish , 3 angle valve job, new valve locks, the whole shabang. But even when the car wasn't 100 percent it still whooped the shit outa cars. I loved it. I STILL love it. I say go B16a because if you want turbo you can always swap out some pistons and rods and slap a turbo on there. If your looking for big power like 300-400 HP , don't waste ur money on the NA stuff now save for turbo. I have been pouring my money into NA because I liek it more, only because I hate tuning and retuning with Turbo, but then again I wasn't putting a turbo on my car that wasn't running right. Anywayz thats my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:10 AM
mr.crx

you are going to get more power wit the b16a then with ls motors. if your going to go with a b18 the gsr is going to run you quite a bit. the b16a is an all around good motor and could be easily set up fopr turbo. i think for the price and what you get out of it the b16 is an all around good buy.