Notices

89 Civic DX Timing Belt Replacement

Old 02-28-2006, 12:21 AM
ZBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Civic DX Timing Belt Replacement

HI

My timing belt is starting to make a squealing whine. I thought the recommended replacement was 80,000 miles. Wrong. Its 60,000.

I have replaced a timing belt once before on a old Toyota Tercel and it was very easy. However, It looks like the Honda is gonna be alot more difficult. I have a Haynes service manual but it has always proved to be wrong.

My questions

According to the service manual I have to remove an engine mount. Will I be able to loosen a big nut like this with a regular crastsman type wrench?? It doesnt have a long handle so i wouldnt be able to get much torque on it?

Also, According to the manual I have take off the alternator, air conditioner, power steering pump. Its amazing to me, but it also says i need to remove the spark plugs!!!! Which i find absolutely ridiculous.

When u replaced the timing belt on your Honda did u do all this stuff?

thanks
Old 04-16-2006, 04:15 AM
92civiclx

I'm doing the same thing as we speak with my 92 civic lx 1.5l
i see no reason to remove the a/c, alternator, spark plugs or power steering pump.
the only thing i am having a problem with is the crank pulley bolt.
i have forgotten which way to loosen the bolt.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by ZBS
Will I be able to loosen a big nut like this with a regular crastsman type wrench??
What is a "craftsman type" wrench? Do you mean a 3/8" or 1/2" drave ratchet? If so, no, you can't get it off with that unless you have the arms of a pro weight lifter. You either need an air compressor and impact gun or an 18" long 1/2" drive braker bar. That bolt is in tight.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:11 AM
90CvcDX
kekeke

Originally Posted by 92civiclx
I'm doing the same thing as we speak with my 92 civic lx 1.5l
i see no reason to remove the a/c, alternator, spark plugs or power steering pump.
the only thing i am having a problem with is the crank pulley bolt.
i have forgotten which way to loosen the bolt.
lefty loosey righty tighty duh :P
Old 04-17-2006, 06:55 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

They tell you to take off the AC and power steering because the belts are connected to the crank pulley, and you have to tkae off the crank pulley to put the new timing belt on. you dont have to take the power sterring and ac and alt off, just take the belt off of it. They tell you to take the spark plugs out to make it easier to turn the motor to get it in the right place for TDC, it makes it easier for some people who don't want to struggle with turning the motor over. As for the crank pulley bolt, put the car in 5th gear and have someone step on the brakes as hard as possible, be ready with an impact socket and a long breaker bar. It is a PITA but you will get it. Also they tell you to take off the drivers sdie motor mount becasue you have to get the timing belt around that, and there is no other way to do it. Make sure you support the engine with a jack while taking the motor mount off, I would place a piece of wood under the whole engine so you do not puta hole in the oil pan or mare the under side of the engine. Also you will know that you overtightened your timing belt if it squeelz a little when u start it up. Any other questions just let me know.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:13 AM
92civiclx

Thanks for the reminder 90cvcdx.

At the time i was so pissed i could of blown the car up.

I used a pneumatic impact and it didn't work, so i rented an electric impact and it helped, but i went back to my breaker bar and it finally came loose.

After 2 days of trying, it only took an hour to put it back together.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by Kai
What is a "craftsman type" wrench? Do you mean a 3/8" or 1/2" drave ratchet? If so, no, you can't get it off with that unless you have the arms of a pro weight lifter. You either need an air compressor and impact gun or an 18" long 1/2" drive braker bar. That bolt is in tight.

Werd...

But thats not the half of it, what makes it such a pain in the ass is it spins when you apply pressure... So u have to hold the crank pulley from spinning somehow... This is the worst part of the entire timing belt fiasco... So far the 5th gear and brakes trick never worked for me... Access to the bottom of the flywheel (theres a dust cover down there) and a metal pipe have worked, but if u really dont want a fight, I suggest taking it to a shop have them buzz the bolt off and put it on with hand tools...

Last edited by Exempt; 04-19-2006 at 09:47 AM.