Notices

What are some good internal engine mods for a B18B?

Old 02-26-2006, 03:09 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some good internal engine mods for a B18B?

WEll my friend is getting a B18B soon and I was just wondering what would be some good internal modifications to do to it. Would it be better to put some stock PR3 psitons in it to raise the compression up?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:52 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Depends on his hp goals. Is he considering turbo? I would just get forged pistons if that's the case. What's he gonna do w/ the car?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:13 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Originally Posted by RevengeCRX
Depends on his hp goals. Is he considering turbo? I would just get forged pistons if that's the case. What's he gonna do w/ the car?

Prolly get the car running good with the B18B in it, then eventually go LSVTEC on it.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:15 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Hmmm... Unfortunately, I have no real experience w/ LSVTEC engines, and frankly, I would never want a combo like that. Yes, they can be pushed for lots of power, but only for a limited amount of time. From all the research I've done on LSVTEC engines, most will not last very long. So for a daily driver, like my CRX, I would never recommend it.
If you're dead set on LSVTEC, however, I would def. reinforce the bottom end, and give plenty of oil to the top end. I'm not a pro when it comes to engine building, but I think extra oil squirters and runners would keep the vtec head happy. Also, building the valvetrain would help keep the head more reliable.
Either way u go, hopefully it all works out. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Well he wants to go LSVTEC, but if there is someway of making the B18B Pretty quick, not insanely fast but somethin he can beat some people with, then I would rather do that. Considering I will be doing all the work for him for free. I would rather keep the stock block and keep the head but I jsut don't see a B18B being fast without VTEC. If anyone has a B18B and timeslips or w/e and what they have done to their car, let me know. I am trying to mkae a plan for his car. Basically I need to get the car up and running first. BUT if I can do something to better the engine while it is out, and mkae it easier on myself I owuld rather do that. Again could I just slap some B16a Pistons in there to raise the compression a litlte and mkae it a lil more quicker. Any Ideas you guys want to throw at me go ahead. I am alot more familiar with B16a's and B18C's n stuff. I know alot about B-Series, But I know VTEC not Non VTEC.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:38 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

I'd go turbo for the bast bang 4 your buck...
B18a/bs are boost happy engines, from what I have read. If the engine is already out, put in some forged pistons and stronger connecting rods. Stronger timing belt, and while you're at it, cam gears, turbo cams, water pump and oil pump, maybe new rings and head gasket?, install your turbo and bolt that engine back in. Give it a break in period of about 500miles(drive hard for the first 50miles, then normal after that.