Notices

4 speed manual spindle question?

Old 02-06-2006, 06:31 PM
g2_teg_na
^ Visual Learner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 speed manual spindle question?

i have a 1990 civic hatch with a 4 speed manual tranny. the spline count on the front spindles are less than that of a 5 speed civic correct? my question is, what about the transmission? do the 4 speed trannsmissions have the same spline count as a 5 speed? i want to change the spindles, and use the axles off my Si. will that work?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:31 PM
jlicrx

if you swap the knuckles/hubs (spindles) from a DX or Si, you can use the DX or Si axles (they are the same) - or, you could use the 5 speed transmission with your STD 4 speed axles and leave the hubs you have
Old 02-06-2006, 07:38 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

Originally Posted by jlicrx
if you swap the knuckles/hubs (spindles) from a DX or Si, you can use the DX or Si axles (they are the same) - or, you could use the 5 speed transmission with your STD 4 speed axles and leave the hubs you have
the way i was figured it was that both the hubs and tranny have to be swapped in order to use dx/si parts. for example say you have an si tranny and swap on some dx hubs it'll work as well as vice versa, now if you try std hubs with a dx/si tranny or dx/si hubs with a std tranny it wont fit properly, i own a 4spd std so i kinda would kno... i cant remember the exact numbers but i think std has like 4 or 5 less splines than dx and si have on their hubs and trannies.

EDIT: if you really wanna know just pull out one axle and compare it to your si counterpart.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:35 AM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by 90CvcDX
the way i was figured it was that both the hubs and tranny have to be swapped in order to use dx/si parts. for example say you have an si tranny and swap on some dx hubs it'll work as well as vice versa, now if you try std hubs with a dx/si tranny or dx/si hubs with a std tranny it wont fit properly, i own a 4spd std so i kinda would kno... i cant remember the exact numbers but i think std has like 4 or 5 less splines than dx and si have on their hubs and trannies.

EDIT: if you really wanna know just pull out one axle and compare it to your si counterpart.
all 88-91 L3 5 speed or 4 speed transmissions (except for the JDM ZC) will accept any model 88-91 CRX/Civic axle - the transmission end is the same on all of these axles - only the hub end is what is different - the Civic STD and CRX HF have smaller hubs and require different axles - STD 4 speed and HF 5speed use the same axle - DX, Si, LX and EX all use the same axle - unless you swap out the hubs, you just use whatever axle is made for your car and transmission model doesn't matter
Old 02-07-2006, 05:50 PM
g2_teg_na
^ Visual Learner

all 88-91 L3 5 speed or 4 speed transmissions (except for the JDM ZC) will accept any model 88-91 CRX/Civic axle - the transmission end is the same on all of these axles - only the hub end is what is different - the Civic STD and CRX HF have smaller hubs and require different axles - STD 4 speed and HF 5speed use the same axle - DX, Si, LX and EX all use the same axle - unless you swap out the hubs, you just use whatever axle is made for your car and transmission model doesn't matter
i hope you're right....if so, thanks a lot. thats great information! and if im understanding correctly, the sedan and hatchback axles and hubs are interchangable? or just the axles? im gonna get this stuff from a junkyard. i went last weekend and there were a LOT more sedans than hatches.

thanks again.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:22 PM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by g2_teg_na
i hope you're right....if so, thanks a lot. thats great information! and if im understanding correctly, the sedan and hatchback axles and hubs are interchangable? or just the axles? im gonna get this stuff from a junkyard. i went last weekend and there were a LOT more sedans than hatches.

thanks again.
all sedans and DX and Si hatches have same axles - DX and LX sedans have same hubs as hatch DX and Si - 90-91 EX sedans have different knuckle/hubs because they have the larger brakes like the DA Integra - the EX knuckles/hubs go quick in junkyards, because everyone wants the larger brakes - we buy and part out Hondas and Acuras - you can trust the info
Old 02-09-2006, 07:50 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

that may explain why a DX wheel bearing fit in my STD knuckle, i have Si knuckles with everything on them sitting in my basement i never put them on because i was told that i'd need an si tranny and dx or si axles to go with it, but if ur saying i can keep my std 4 speed tranny and just swap out the knuckles than that solves my problems
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

all sedans and DX and Si hatches have same axles - DX and LX sedans have same hubs as hatch DX and Si - 90-91 EX sedans have different knuckle/hubs because they have the larger brakes like the DA Integra - the EX knuckles/hubs go quick in junkyards, because everyone wants the larger brakes - we buy and part out Hondas and Acuras - you can trust the info

This man speaks the truth... If at all possible get everything from an EX and get the larger brakes... But the EF EX sedan is a rare find...
Old 02-10-2006, 07:16 AM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by 90CvcDX
that may explain why a DX wheel bearing fit in my STD knuckle, i have Si knuckles with everything on them sitting in my basement i never put them on because i was told that i'd need an si tranny and dx or si axles to go with it, but if ur saying i can keep my std 4 speed tranny and just swap out the knuckles than that solves my problems
not quite sure what you are saying you want to do - if you want to swap out your STD knuckles/hubs for the Si ones and keep your 4 speed, you wil need DX/Si axles - all of the knuckles themselves, except for the EX, are the same - what is different is the hub portion that has the splines for the axles - all of the bearings are the same, even EX - the reason every one swaps the knuckles and hubs together is that is just easier to swap the whole thing instead of disassembling it to swap hubs - if you want the Si brakes, they just bolt on to your STD knuckles - you will need to use the STD brake hoses, because the little brackets on the hoses are different, where they bolt to the strut, from the DX/Si

Last edited by jlicrx; 02-10-2006 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:35 PM
g2_teg_na
^ Visual Learner

well...i just bought my STD hatch. it failed inspection for bad axles. i plan on doin a swap to it later down the road with a 5 speed, such as ls, gsr, etc... I want to put the knuckles from a DA integra or Si Hatch on with Si axles. That way i have the correct hubs for the swap later down the road. it will also upgrade my brakes. and also i can pass inspection. what brake components do i need to use to do this swap?

a buddy of mine just swapped out a the stock motor from a 1995 CX. will his CX axles work in this swap i wanna do?